Raypak Gas Heater problem

donaldm823

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Cape Coral, FL
I have a 400,000 BTU Raypak digital heater with a 2hp pump , both going to a 220v Intermac manual timer (model# T104P201). 2 days ago, after turning on the gas heater at 0900, approx 2 hr later it stops firing (still 10 deg below set temp) and I see a "CLK" in the lcd window of the heater. Pump continues to run fine. About 1300 the CLK goes away, and the gas heater fires up and runs normally the rest of the day until the timer turns off the pump and heater approx 5 hr later. This has happened 2 days in a row.

I do not see the "firemans sw" in the Intermac timer nor extra control wires although my timer model number corresponds to a heater cutoff-firemans sw type. The heater wires (3-bk, wh, gr)(120v) only go to common and one hot lead (120v), and I do not see any control wires other that the 3 leads (grd, common, and hot). Where as the pump is wired for 220v, so two red leads to 2 hot terminals plus 1 grd wire.

The "CLK" according to my heater owners manual means heater cooldown or firemans sw activated. What could be causing the CLK intermittent. And why would it go away after 2 hr and not reappear the rest of the day

Bottom question is what is causing this "cooldown cycle" or CLK :cry:

Presumably, something is connected to the fireman switch terminals in the heater. You should be able to find out where those terminals are in the heater, open the heater up and find the terminals, and see if anything is connected to them.

UPDATE
Pool service came to checkout my Raypack heater. They confirmed there is no clock function wired to my Intermac timer, so the "CLK" error can only be a faulty wire connection (plug) in the heater or my heater main board is going bad. He pulled the connector several times to clean off any high resistance contact and reinstalled x5 and then walked away. The alternative was to replace the main board ($450) or do a wait and see if the "CLK" reappears or if his "fix" worked. He also said that sun temp beating on the front f the heater control panel should have no effect on the circuit and there is no cooling fan.

So will check tomorrow as supposed to be full sun. I only got the "CLK" in the morning when full sun shining on the heater. It does make sense to spend the $450 on the off chance the problem was simply the jumper wire had a high resistance contack on the multiplug

Putting this on the board just in case there is someone else out there that has gotten this "CLK" error on their Raypack heater LCD OR has experienced a failed main board.

UPDATE+++++UPDATE
full sun yesterday (5/31) and yes got the "CLK" and no flame. It cleared itself in the afternoon after the sun went behind the house leaving the Raypak in the shade. So, ordered a new PC control board as the only that makes sense is a temp sensitive chip on the PC board. Found a cheap source for the OEM part for $259 so figured it was cheaper to easter egg than keep paying troubleshooting hourly rates!!!

UPDATE+++UPDATE New PC Board installed// CLF fault corrected
Received the RAypak kit from poolsupplyworld.com. Great kit and easy install with instructions providing lots of photo steps. 3 screws and 5 board plugs!. All fixed-heater fired up normally after PC board replaced. SO the CLK error/msg was really a PC board issue that did not identlify ittself as a board failure.
Item Name – PC BOARD, RP2100 CURRENT - 010253F
Quantity Ordered – 1
SKU Number – 010253F
Item Price – $259.95
Total Price – $259.

The RAypak heater in question was new April 2006. My PB says the Raypaks can last 10 years or longer if pool chemistry maintained. I fo one would still recommend Raypaks and the parts arre avaialble

I have the RayPak 2100 and it came with the house 11 years ago.....and was probably 5 years old when we got it. So 16 years I guess, but now it has lost its spark. No ignition and it says SPK 22.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.