Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Algae like sun or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleona, PA

Does Algae like sun or not?

I know algae thrives in warmer weather, but I heard algae likes shade better than sunlight. What's the truth?
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Does Algae like sun or not?

There are several varieties of algae, but the most common cannot grow without sunlight.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Different kinds of algae are different. All algae needs some sunlight, but some like it direct and others like it indirect. Common green pool algae loves direct sunlight. But mustard algae prefers the shade, ie indirect sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

From personal experience, I found I had algae issues more in my direct sunlight pools than my covered pools. The one I have currently is fully exposed, but it seems to be algae free these days.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

5. Back To Top    #5

I seem to get two different kinds of algae. The first grows on the rocks of the waterfall, in a lot of sun. The other will grow in the pool on the wall in the shade.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I'm pretty sure I read there are about 7,000 identified species. Chlorine works on all of them!!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School