Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: speed at which pH changes.

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte, NC

speed at which pH changes.

The pH scale is a factor of 10 for each number I believe.
    Does this necessarily translate into a difference in time at which the pH can change, or not necessarily because in a pool we also have borates, TA, etc.

Example; my pH rises steadily from 7.5 to 7.8 about each 7-10 days, so I test it about every 7th day +/-.
    I have an issue going on (raised-stains-stained-bumps-t21024.html ) where I’m keeping the pH at 7-7.2 for a week or so. Is it true that to keep it in that lower range, I should test it more frequently compared to when I am testing to see it go from 7.5-7.8, because it more quickly can go from 7 to 7.3 than it can from 7.5 to 7.8?

19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: speed at which pH changes.

That whole line of reasoning is incorrect. If you are trying to keep the PH down around 7.0 to 7.3 you will need to check it more often, but that has nothing to do with the PH scale being exponential. In this case, it has to do with the distance you are from CO2 equilibrium with the atmosphere, lower PH makes you more out of balance, so the rate of change is faster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: speed at which pH changes.

This chart shows the factor of how much more carbon dioxide there is in pool water compared to what there would be in equilibrium with the air. That is, it shows how over-carbonated pools are at various pH and TA levels. The rate of pH change, however, is more complicated than this since the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing seems to vary as the square of the TA (not more linearly as shown in the table) and the pH buffering changes as a function of pH. Nevertheless, we do generally see the rate of pH rise slow down as the pH gets higher and that is what is predicted by the table.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"