Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating help

1. Back To Top    #1

Heating help

I have a 30' round AGP with a dinky little 120,000 btu heater that was originally used for a hot tub. My pool is surrounded by trees, and is only in the sun for about 4-6 hours a day. I was hoping someone could tell me the most efficient way to warm my pool and likewise keep my pool warm. My poor little heater is running much of the day when the pump is on, but I was wondering what I should do during the day when the pool is in the sunlight. The solar cover is a medium blue, so I would think that it would gather the heat from the sun fairly well. On the other hand maybe it blocks a good portion of the heat from getting to the water.

I guess to make a long question short...for heating purposes would I be better off taking the cover off during the day even if we are not using the pool, or should I leave the cover on as much as possible to keep the heat I have from escaping. keep in mind that the heater does run for about 8 hours a day.

Thanks!!!
    Mike
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit
    -It takes less time to do things right then it does to do it again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heating help

You must have some spot in the yard or on your roof that the sun shines more of the day - solar panels can be plumbed at a distance so it does not need to be right next to the pool. You can really heat a pool up nicely with solar panels.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

The gas heater I have works fine, I'm more interested in optimizing my use of the solar cover during the day to supplement the gas heater.
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We use a clear solar cover and a heat pump heater, it heats up faster with the clear cover than the blue one we had before.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5150
    ...for heating purposes would I be better off taking the cover off during the day even if we are not using the pool, or should I leave the cover on as much as possible to keep the heat I have from escaping.

Solar covers are far better insulators, rather than "heaters" although clear covers help let sun rays through. The answer to your question, depends on the pool water temp, vs the conditions outside...here are some examples

Keep the cover on, unless you are swimming given you are trying to heat when cooler outside...once temps are warmer, then take the cover off when the pool gets sun
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, other than preserving the temp you already have, you will not see more than a negligable gain from any kind of solar cover. If you want to supplement, a panel or a larger heater are your choices.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks a lot everyone, once again you guys (and girls) are great! I wish I would have known about this site about 5 years ago when we got our pool, it would have saved me some major headaches.