"test kit questions"

May 17, 2010
Just received new test kit having problems. Numbers seem to be off. When testing CH turns purple not red after adding R0011L and after adding 30+ drops never turns blue. Tried 3 times? when they say rinse out tubes is that in the pool or the tap water. Maybe they are not clean just rinse and wipe dry? Seems like a dumb question sorry. How many times in the evening can you shock? I do it once according to calculator, ck FC level and wait to morning to ck again. Have shocked for days.. Still CC of 1.5 and cloudy water. Have gray dead algae in the skimmer guess I should shock again tonight.

This morning after shocking last night
FC 21.5
CC 1.5
TC 2.2
TA 280?
PH 7.8
CYA 60
CH
At a loss how many times in evening to shock is at the right level? Cloudier today after shocking?

any help would be great very down trying for months for the sparkle!!

Drop your PH to 7.2 by adding muratic acid ( consult the pool calculator.) This should also help drop your TA somewhat. Your chlorine numbers as posted are wrong. FC+CC=TC Please re-check your notes or retest. Post your results again when you can. Water is likely cloudy due to high amount of dead algea. Brush pool walls and floor to expose new algea to chlorine. check sand filter for preasure and back wash as needed. Keep pump running 24/7 while shocking. What are you using to shock the pool?

Thanks I see #'s are wrong. Brushed, and back washed pump running 24/7. Using chlorine to shock. Could PH be off due to high chlorine level after shocking? Any answers for the testing of CH? use pool water to clean out vials?

FC levels above 10 can affect Ph readings, yes..but I'm not sure of your FC level the way you have it listed. If it's below 10 then I'd say you can adjust your ph, but if FC is above 10 leave alone and keep shocking.

I always rinse my vials with freshwater from the hose or sink and wipe with a soft cloth or paper toweling.

koliver13 said:
Just received new test kit having problems. Numbers seem to be off. When testing CH turns purple not red after adding R0011L and after adding 30+ drops never turns blue. Tried 3 times? when they say rinse out tubes is that in the pool or the tap water. Maybe they are not clean just rinse and wipe dry? Seems like a dumb question sorry. How many times in the evening can you shock?you can add chlorine to reach your target shock level as often as once per hour. Just keep putting in the current and the target into the calculator and add what it says. The more often you add to shock level the more quickly you will be done shocking. Shocking is like antibiotics...if you don't continue the dosing until it's done then you just keep having a bit of stuff to fight off. I do it once according to calculator, ck FC level and wait to morning to ck again. Have shocked for days.. settle in for a late night, make some coffee and keep hitting it hard all night. Still CC of 1.5 and cloudy water. Have gray dead algae in the skimmer guess I should shock again tonight.

This morning after shocking last night
FC 21.5
CC 1.5
TC 2.2
TA 280?
PH 7.8
CYA 60
CH
At a loss how many times in evening to shock is at the right level? Cloudier today after shocking?

any help would be great very down trying for months for the sparkle!!

You'll get there..

Ok, FC 21 was after shocking last night. will continue to shock and leave PH alone for now. Thanks for advice on cleaning tubes. this is taking forever and I'm loosing my patience. If I've raised my FC to shock level tonight wait till morning to check FC and CC again?

Thanks read and re read just didn't have the clarity that I needed. I'm slow..... At work will try again tonight I've been using the calculator thanks so much think I have it now. waiting for the sparkle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
koliver13 said:
Just received new test kit having problems. Numbers seem to be off. When testing CH turns purple not red after adding R0011L and after adding 30+ drops never turns blue. Tried 3 times? when they say rinse out tubes is that in the pool or the tap water. Maybe they are not clean just rinse and wipe dry? Seems like a dumb question sorry.
If CH is really high, use 10ml sample instead of 25. Straight from Taylor:
* When high CH is anticipated, this procedure may be used: Use
10 mL sample, 10 drops R-0010, 3 drops R-0011L, and multiply
drops in Step 4 by 25.

Another thing to try is to add 3 or 4 drops of R-0012 before you start the test. Swirl it good, then add R-0010 and so on in the usual manner. Just include the initial drops in your count. That can help with the colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.