Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Huge improvement...!

1. Back To Top    #1

Huge improvement...!

I am ecstatic! I went to test the water this morning and I can see the bottom of my pool. The filter had very little gunk on it, and the numbers look a lot better. The conversion stalled for sometime, I think that the turnaround was the addition of the 2 lbs of baking soda. These are the new numbers:

FC 9.5
    CC 1
    PH 7.3
    TA 120
    CH 160
    CYA 70
    SALT 3850

The water is still a little hazy (CC=1, i know) but beautiful. Should I bring it up to 15 one more time to clear up the CC's or leave it at 9.5 another couple of days??

Regards,
    Roberto
    Long time BaquaXXX user and hating it,
    15X30 AG, 11,000GAL, Hayward Xtreme filter, SWG in place, conversion almost over!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Huge improvement...!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto

The water is still a little hazy (CC=1, i know) but beautiful. Should I bring it up to 15 one more time to clear up the CC's or leave it at 9.5 another couple of days??
    Yes. You want it to hold 15ppm overnight before you quit.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    in general, you conversion is over when you hold 15 FC overnight AND you have no cc's AND your water is clear. Keep it at 15 until all three occur! Some will say then leave it for another 24 hours just to be certain...

You're almost there!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Huge improvement...

Thanks, its already at 15 and holding.

The SWG book says to keep calcium at 200-400 and mine is 160. What do I need to raise it? Where do I find it?

Regards,
    Roberto

P. S. I looked in the stickies and pool chemistry, I found out about Borax and Baking soda and muriatic acid, but nothing on calcium.
    Long time BaquaXXX user and hating it,
    15X30 AG, 11,000GAL, Hayward Xtreme filter, SWG in place, conversion almost over!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Roberto,

Just to clarify, you're not looking for it to be at 15ppm (or any other specific reading) the next AM.

You are looking for NO chlorine loss overnight.

So, to make sure you have cleared your water, you should dose with chlorine in the late afternoon, do a free chlorine test after giving the chlorine a few hours to circulate, then check for that same reading again before the Sun hits the pool early in the AM.

A loss of .5ppm or possibly even a loss of 1.0 would be okay......any loss greater than that means you need to keep shocking.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    You don't need calcium in an above ground pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School