Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: done shocking, but water still very cloudy!

1. Back To Top    #1

done shocking, but water still very cloudy!

I finally got my test kit today!!! I was so excited when I saw it, but my excitement was short lived because it started raining. Is it okay to begin shocking my pool during the rain? Or would it be beneficial to wait until the rain stops?
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't wait to work on pool - will rain stop me?

Normal rain is not a problem at all. If you have a thunderstorm or high winds, there could be issues. Otherwise the main problem is that you will get wet when you go out to take care of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is any lightning, even several miles away, associated with the rain or storm, best to not take the chance of a lightning strike. It can get you from several miles away.

When we have a "normal" rain, which is quite rare here, because it normally only "storms" here, "toad chokers", with lots of cloud to ground lightning, and gale force winds, I love working on the pool and yard in the rain (not so much fun in winter though). Been doing it forever with our pool; doesn't really seem to affect anything except to make it more fun. It's nice to have a covered area, porch, umbrella, etc., to sit down to do the chem readings or just step inside for a bit to do them.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow!! I felt like a kid getting her first chemistry set when I opened the package with my test kit in it! A little bit overwhelmed by all the chemicals, but I can certainly manage!

Tested my water and here are my results: (did not test FC and CC because I knew there was no chlorine as I have not started shocking yet!)

ph - 8.2
    TA - 130
    CYA - >20

I am very surprised by my CYA level. When I took a sample to the pool store, they said it was over 120 - twice! I drained/refilled by vacuuming to waste 3 times, now I have to add CYA? That's a bit crazy. I think I will test one more time before I start shocking. Should I wait to adjust CYA until after I am done shocking, or is it something I can do simultaneously?

Thank you for all your help!
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA at 20+ is good enough for shocking the pool. I would leave CYA alone. But do lower PH to between 7.2 and 7.4 before shocking. Then finish adjusting the CYA level when you are done shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kdubya815
    Wow!! I felt like a kid getting her first chemistry set when I opened the package with my test kit in it! A little bit overwhelmed by all the chemicals, but I can certainly manage!
    Isn't it fun?

You're going to get wet if you try brushing or vacuuming in the rain. But here's a tip: Get a sample of water and carry it somewhere dry to do your testing. You can do it sitting down at a table, even. No need to squat next to the pool. It's also hard to knock reagents into the pool if they're nowhere near it.

I use a 16 oz. plastic measuring cup with a pour spout. Rinse it a couple times in the pool, invert it, plunge your arm in and then right it, and you'll have plenty of water to test. Or use a piece of pipe as a pipette, like I do. Stick it in, cap thumb over end, lift, and rinse. Then cap, push into pool, uncap, let it fill, cap again, move to cup and empty. Carry cup over to test area. Take your time playing junior scientist.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard,

Thanks for the tip! I would have never thought about that! I was wondering how to keep the test kit dry in the rain!! A ditsy moment, I know!!

Kelly

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by kdubya815
    Isn't it fun?

You are not alone in "felt like a kid getting her first chemistry set". There are few of us here who have not felt that way. The kit is put together so well and is pretty too. I still love opening it up. Like getting a nice present every time. Thanks, Duraleigh.

You're going to get wet if you try brushing or vacuuming in the rain. But here's a tip: Get a sample of water and carry it somewhere dry to do your testing. You can do it sitting down at a table, even. No need to squat next to the pool. It's also hard to knock reagents into the pool if they're nowhere near it.

I use a 16 oz. plastic measuring cup with a pour spout. Rinse it a couple times in the pool, invert it, plunge your arm in and then right it, and you'll have plenty of water to test. Or use a piece of pipe as a pipette, like I do. Stick it in, cap thumb over end, lift, and rinse. Then cap, push into pool, uncap, let it fill, cap again, move to cup and empty. Carry cup over to test area. Take your time playing junior scientist.

This is an especially great way to collect water especially for those who don't "bend" well or can't and in winter when touching the water will take your breath away. BTW.... I rinse the tube several times by dipping it in the water, up and down a few times, without holding thumb over end, so that all parts of tube get swished with pool water; just like rinsing other containers with pool water before using.

Ladies, as most of us have smaller thumbs than most men, a 1/2" PVC (outside diameter) is a good size rather than the larger one some men use.

gg=alice

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny

This is an especially great way to collect water especially for those who don't "bend" well or can't and in winter when touching the water will take your breath away. BTW.... I rinse the tube several times by dipping it in the water, up and down a few times, without holding thumb over end, so that all parts of tube get swished with pool water; just like rinsing other containers with pool water before using.

gg=alice

[/quote]

Wow and duh all in one! This may be the best thing I've learned from this board! I never thought of that!! Thanks for sharing!!
    24' Vinyl, AG, Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, BB&B

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, after playing junior scientist a few times, I have FINALLY begun shocking!! Yay!!

My numbers prior to pouring the bleach:

ph - 7.5 - finally brought it down from 8.2
    TA - 70
    CH - 130
    CYA - 20-30

Should I initially test the FC after 30 mins, adjust, and then test in an hour?

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like a good plan.

12. Back To Top    #12

I just finished testing FC and CC (bleach was added about 10 mins before my previous post). Here are my numbers:

FC - 11.5
    CC - 2

There is a noticeable difference in the color. Much softer green! Hopefully that indicates progress! Added more bleach per the Pool Calculator, and will test in about 45 mins.

Funny tidbit - the frogs are unusually loud tonight - I am seeing many more on the sides since I began shocking! They are going to have to find a new home. I am hoping that a "side effect" of turning my swamp into a sparkling oasis is that my frog population will drastically be reduced! I know my neighbors will appreciate it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Tested the water at 10:40. My FC is 14.5. I went ahead and added another quart of bleach to get back up to 15. I am going to try to check it one more time before I go to bed.

Here is my attempt at posting pictures (hopefully it will work!!)

[attachment=1:35fv7507]DSCF1318.jpg[/attachment:35fv7507]

[attachment=0:35fv7507]DSCF1327.jpg[/attachment:35fv7507]

Hopefully things will continue to progress nicely! Wish me luck!

Kelly
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

Congrats on the frog stampede and Good Luck! You are on your way to crystal clear water!

FWIW, Attack with the bleach, brush like crazy, and keep an eye on your filter pressure. My pool looked about the same as yours this spring. The cover blew/fell off mid winter and it was WAY too cold to go diving. Bottom line is it took about a week to clean up, but I was very diligent with maintaining FC levels at or slightly above shock levels, and cleaned my filter at the first sign of "clogging" to maintain maximum filtration flow and circulation.

The good news for you is you have a sand filter. Alot easier to backwash rather than clean cartridges every two hours!
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for all the encouragement yall! This morning, my FC was 3 and CC was 2. I added 3 182oz jugs per the PC.

Do I need to continue checking levels every hour? If not, how often should I test: every 2, hours, 4 hours, or another time interval?

Also, I changed the pressure gauge last year, but for some reason it does not work. I think water got in it from the snow/ice/rain season we had! I will replace it, but for right now, how do I know when to backwash? I can tell when the return jet starts getting weaker. Is that an acceptable "gauge" for right now?

Thank you for all of your help!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I can tell when the return jet starts getting weaker. Is that an acceptable "gauge" for right now?
    Yeah, sorta', but bump it up close to the top on your priority list. A working guage is an integral part of your pool. I'd screw in a new one ASAP.

You will be the best judge of how often to test and add chlorine. From your pics, it looks like you should be doing it pretty often but that interval will be extended as your pool clears. The more consistent you can be with keeping your FC in the 10-15 range ALL THE TIME, the faster your pool will clear.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the exact times but I think you will soon develop a "feel" for the process of shocking. Keep your FC up all the time, vacuum and brush as often as you find practical, and backwash when necessary.

Posting pics of your progess is helpful and encouraging.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

So I waited two hours to test again and my FC fell from 15.5 to 6. I won't be waiting that long anymore while I am still in shocking mode!

Here are some pics of my progress:

[attachment=0:2j94thjg]DSCF1338.tfp.jpg[/attachment:2j94thjg]

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Good progress!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

Another progress picture:

[attachment=0:jwhkyqjc]DSCF1344.tfp.jpg[/attachment:jwhkyqjc]

Can I bring the FC up to 20-25 overnight? I have to work from 10p-6a and won't be able to check it as often tonight. Will I just be wasting chemicals or will it actually help?

Kelly

20. Back To Top    #20

Algae never sleeps. Keep the FC up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast