How should I pour the bleach?

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
So last night I did my first test with the TF-100 and got the numbers below. I went to the pool calculator and it says to add 16 gallons of bleach. From what I understand I should pour it in front of one of the jets, what I haven't found anywhere is how. Should I just put the jug on its side? Would that be too fast and too splashy? Can my son and I pour at the same time on two different jets? Any tips would be helpful as I plan on pouring it in tonight.

FC .5
CC .5
TA 120
CH 90
CYA 70

Sure, you can employ your son here. Each of you find a return jet at opposite ends if possible. Open up the bottle and pour slowly enough so as not to splash, directly in the return flow so that the returns carry the bleach out into the water.

It's usually a good idea to pour most concentrated chemicals, including bleach or chlorinating liquid, slowly over a return flow at the deep end with the pump running. For extra safety, since you have a vinyl pool, you can lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you've added the chlorine to ensure thorough mixing. You don't want any chlorine pooling at the bottom of the pool -- once mixed, however, chlorine stays mixed.

Just note that bleach and chlorinating liquid will bleach your clothes with even the smallest drop so be careful. I usually change my clothes to a pair of jeans that is getting more and more white spots from all the accidental drops over the years. No matter how careful I try to be, every few weeks or months I seem to screw up. Putting the jug or cup into the pool for pouring should minimize the problem, but rinse your hands in the water afterwards in case something spills on them.

so i shock the pool last night and now I do another test (8 hours later) and I get the same numbers I got last night:

FC .5
CC .5

I'm heading out to get more bleach, but I'm getting worried that I'm not doing the test correctly and I might "over bleach" my pool, if this is even possible.

BTW: the pool was a little cloudy last night, this morning it it's much clearer.

From what I have read on here, if it is clearing up then it is making progress and the chlorine is being eaten away. If you just follow the directions on the test kit you should be good to go. The FC test is one of the easier test to do and get right. Use a 10 ml sample, put in a heaping scoop of the powder and then use the R-0871 and one drop at a time swiring in between each one. Once the water turns pink to clear multiple your drops times .5 and that is your FC. Then use the R003 and put in 5 drops, if it stays clear your CC is 0. If it changes back to pink, put in enough drops of R-0871 to turn it back clear, multiply this by .5 and that is your CC. FC+CC=TC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hayfarmer said:
I know I am going to get a bunch of slack for the way i do it....But i take the skimmer basket out and I pour it very slowly in the Skimmer.

You can certainly do that, yes. The reason that we don't typically advocate for doing that is because we don't want others to think that you can do that with just anything. There are some chemicals that it would be a big no-no to do that (see muriatic acid).

Muriatic has a pH of around -1 (negative 1) and you really don't want a seriously low pH inside the guts of your pump/filter. I suppose you could drip it into the skimmer basket, but I think anything that qualifies as "pour" would be too much.
--paulr

I have always added dichlor and poured bleach right into the skimmer. The chlorine quickly goes through the pump, through the heater, and back into the return jets. Never had a problem with any of the components. (I learned my lesson to NEVER do this with acid) Now that I am getting a new heater with a cupric-nickel heat exchanger, I am wondering if I should change my ways of adding chlorine. Is concentrated chlorine for a short period going through a cupric-nickel heat exchanger bad?

rastoma said:
waste said:
I just walk the perimeter of the pool, pouring at ~ waist height, but then again, I ruin a LOT of pants each year doing it that way

If you literally do ruin a LOT of pants that way, then why? Do you get free clothes?

TIME = $

I open at least 6 pools each day (and my work week is Mon. - Sat.) so I'm perimeter dumping at least 12 gal. of 12.5% every day. With the splash that Richard spoke of and wind, the bottom 6" of my jeans get pretty threadbare within a couple months. This also doesn't take into account unnoticed spillage in the back of my service van that I kneel in nor, the occasional inadvertent leaking jug that coats me.

I'm just a little different than most members here, I open and close 400+ pools every year and service twice that many - it gives me a knowledge/ experience base that the owner of 1 pool doesn't have - and I've never owned a pool :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.