Aquarite -- cheap cap to fit cell for cleaning

May 18, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Has anyone found a cheap cap to fit the Aquarite cell, for cleaning purposes? I see a cleaning stand sold on line for $30 or $40. I was hoping to get a simple PVC screw-on cap at Home Depot. However, it is an odd size -- its not 1.5 inch or 2 inch. I can't find anything that fits it. Does anyone have a way to plug the cell at one end, so you can fill it with muratic solution for cleaning? I've tried the rubber plugs that I use to close the returns for winter, but they don't fit tight due to some ridges in the mouth of the cell.

Mickey -- I have not been able to get a rubber plug to make a watertight seal, due to some ridges on the inside of the cell. Does your cell have these ridges?

Poolcat -- no, the ridges are not seams from the manufacturing process. They look like they are supposed to be there, although I doubt there would be any harm done by sanding them away. I hate to sand the inside of my cell just yet, if there is another solution.

This may be the conclusion for this thread. I tried a number 11 rubber plug in the salt cell last night, and filled it with water, and it held tight with no leaks, even with the ridge in the opening. The trick is to screw down the wing nut pretty tight -- the nut on the rubber plug. This seems to really expand the rubber plug and fill the gaps. So I think the cheap way to clean your cell is to plug it with a number 11 plug, screw the nut down tight, and fill with acid solution. No need for a $35 T-Cell stand!

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.