Hydrostatic Valve

Re: Fine tuning levels

They just bought this house with the inground pool last year and the first season had no problems. This year they had an excess amount of rain and a rock got stuck in the hydrostatic valve. The pool then drained itself. it is an inground pool, gunite, 30,000 gallons with an automatic cholorinator system. We are now trying to make repairs while the water is out and cannot get the last 12 inches of water out. Even with a pump, the inground water keeps on filling it back up. The pool company told them it was due to a busted pipe and it would cost $3500.00 to fix it. Another pool company told them to check the valve and that is when they found the rock stuck. What should be their next step?

Is the valve spring loaded? By that I mean is there a spring that makes the valve seat normaly , or is it just a check valve where any flow back is stopped by the flaper closing. There is a chance that the rock damaged the sealing surface of the valve. I am concerned that a pump will not out run the inflow of water as that would indicate a hole at least as big as the pump discharge. Do they know where the water table is in relation to the pool ?
If the valve is spring loaded you may be able to reseat the valve if it is just cocked by pushing on it with a screwdriver . If it is just a check valve try to push it open as trash may be preventing its operation. Sorry I cant be more specific but I don't know what kind of valve you have . If that fails you may have no choice but to have it repaired by a PB. In that case allow the water to stay in the pool to help prevent damage from floating up.

Sounds like the groundwater is exceeding the limits of the pump, as coloeb stated. I would try and get a larger pump, but be careful to not let the pool float. Is there any way that you can figure out how close to the surface the ground water is currently?

Any way that you can post a pic of the hydro-stat? Is there a cap on the top that could be reset or screwed on to stop the flow? From your description, it sounds like a spring loaded unit with no back up means of stopping the water in a case like this.

Please try and get a pic or some more info. Maybe we can come up with a solution and save you the $3,500!

PICT3511.jpg

Here is a picture of the hydrostatic valve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ruth

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.