Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stupid Question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Stupid Question...

I was searching and couldn't find this

What order do your "fix" your chemistry levels when opening the pool?

then FC?????
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Stupid Question...

It sorta' depends on the particular conditions of your pool.

pH is always a good place to start and then I think immediately of getting chlorine in the pool.

CYA usually next to start protecting the chlorine.

TA and CH are usually items of little urgency so can be done later.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Kinda depends on what needs fixing.

Give us your test results and someone will tell you what is most important. Usually if pH is out of whack, that is first in line. But if CYA is way off you may need to partially drain and refill so that could actually be first. Sometimes there are other issues to consider, like water sources or prices. So, dish the dirty details and we can begin.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Yes, adjust your pH first. When you figure out how much CYA you want in there, then you can go ahead and start adding the CYA and then bring your FC up to a level that would target the CYA level you are shooting for. Does that make sense?

Once those are handled, you can adjust your TA and add calcium if needed.

Now, if your CH is high at opening, you would want to change out water before doing any of the above. Same goes for CYA if it is high.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems like CYA is the place to start to me. If you are off the charts, you are potentially going to have to drain at least partially. Why bother with anything else till you know what your CYA level is?
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump