Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ripped D.E. elements-can I still use them?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ripped D.E. elements-can I still use them?

My D.E. elements are old and have some small tears (1" or less) and overall deterioration. Probably about six total. At this point I am trying to find out what equipment works and then hopefully start filtering my green pool. Can I use the current elements for now? I will plan on replacing them eventually. Right now I want to put as little money into the system as possible. When I buy new, I might even switch to cartridge filters. Thanks for the help.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ripped D.E. elements-can I still use them?

Hate to say it to you, but unless your filter elements are intact, they aren't going to filter well for you and you will just send dirty water back into the pool that you are trying so desperately to clear. They will need to be replaced if you are going to stick with that filter and use it to clear your pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

DE grids are fairly inexpensivecompared to most pool parts. I would find a whole new set of grids and rock on. The water being filtered by a DE filter is supposed to pass trough a space as small as 5 microns. Passing through and inch hole is going to be bad news.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

NO

I've seen what happens, many years ago, at a camp. You'll find DE drifts on the bottom of the pool.

Buy new ones. If you can't afford them, then super glue the tears or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it. I will look into getting new ones.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.