Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool overflow questions....

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool overflow questions....

I have a fiberglass pool and we are in the middle of some good rains. The level is still approx 8" from the decking but only about 4" from the top of the shell. The decking is probably about 3-4" thick. Regardless there is a .5 inch lip of plastic between what i presume is the top of the fiberglass shell and the deck.

Sometimes while in the pool I can splash water up under this lip and get a small degree of sand to come out. I am concerned that the water level will rise above this lip and sand will start seeping into the pool. Is this possible?

Do pools have an overlflow? It doesn't appear that mine does.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool overflow questions....

Some pools do have an overflow drain and some don't. It doesn't sound like you have one because if you did, you would be able to see it on the side of the pool.

Do you have a way to send water to waste on demand?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Some pools do have an overflow drain and some don't. It doesn't sound like you have one because if you did, you would be able to see it on the side of the pool.

Do you have a way to send water to waste on demand?
    I can drain to waste but don't want to do it in the pouring rain too badly.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

Time to put on the bikini and go for it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    I can drain to waste but don't want to do it in the pouring rain too badly.

Well, like I tell my little girl, sometimes you have to do things that you just don't want to do, and only because you need to do them.

I've done it myself and I have an overflow drain. And with the rate the rain was falling at that time, the drain wasn't keeping up. I had to go out there and drain water while it was pouring rain so that my flowerbeds and pool would not become one. Was not a good day.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Time to put on the bikini and go for it!
    Heh heh!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm all for the speedo rain drain, but most concerned about the coroner showing up and finding me wearing a banana hammock and having one finger fried on the pump ON control. You know...the old, water + electricity dilemma.
    10,000 gallon

NC KANSAS44

8. Back To Top    #8

So send the kid you love the least to do it. muhahahahaha
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    I'm all for the speedo rain drain, but most concerned about the coroner showing up and finding me wearing a banana hammock and having one finger fried on the pump ON control. You know...the old, water + electricity dilemma.
    Holy cow, you guys are killing me LOL stuff!!!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!