"Can't search now..." message

I did some research on this and thought I would update everyone. The machine we are on right now can handle the forum just fine, as long as it isn't doing anything else. The problems happen when something else is running, like backups or server log rotation. I am working on reconfiguring all of the "extra" tasks, like backups, to only run late at night when there are fewer people using the site. I keep finding new things that are scheduled during the day. Eventually I will find them all and this will stop happening, at least till our traffic level doubles again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 7:02 PM got the ..."can't search now..." message; however, I was in the middle of a search and simply paged back to view the requested info.

So I have to give one of these :? and then one of these :goodjob:

Does giving the time help you figure what program run to change?

10:18pm and 10:47pm (pacific). Performance in general kind of sluggish that whole 10-11 hour. Seemed to get better after that.

I know that's the wee hours on east coast (1-2am), but not so much out here.
--paulr

Currently 88 guests on the forum. I can't help but think that this is why. The flux capacitor may not be producing the required 1.21 gigawatts of power required to handle the volume. :mrgreen:

The problems have to do with the number of people accessing the site in a five second period. If there are too many requests with in five seconds of each other the load spikes up and there start to be problems.

Every time there has been a problem I have found some way to optimize the server so that problem won't happen again. But every couple of days the amount of traffic increases again and something new goes wrong. I am hoping that we can get through June without upgrading the server, but if this keeps happening the sever upgrade will need to happen right away.

29 out of 30 days so far this month have had more traffic than we ever had at any time previously. June promises to be even busier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.