Another question about opening a pool

May 19, 2009
Southern Md
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
We opened our pool about 2 weeks ago, hooked up the pump, put the hoses back on and connected the light, etc. When we took the cover off, the remaining water was crystal clear and still is. We filled the pool with water so the water level was to skimmer where it should have been and have been running the filter everyday. I have not tested the water yet, because no one has been swimming because it is COLD>> but since the water looks good, do you still need to shock the water if it is not green?

Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine...
You may or may not need to shock, but hopefully you have been circulating some chlorine in there or it'll be green in no time.

Regardless of whether people are swimming, it is a good idea to properly balance the water for the good of your pool and equipment. The longer you wait to balance the pool the longer and more $$$$ you will spend cleaning it up.

Read pool school and brush up on the pool calculator, . Also get the water tested either with your own high quality test kit (preferred) or at the pool store. Stock up on bleach. Don't buy any chemicals at the pool store yet. Inventory what you have on hand currently.

Read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post
and post back the information so we can help....
:wave: and welcome back!

You do not necessarily need to shock. You need to test the water in order to know whether you need to shock or not. And you really need to perform an overnight chlorine drop test to know for sure.

Which test kit do you have?

We had these chlorine holder floats inside the pool over the winter. I guess they worked okay! I just have a walmart-type test kit. Maybe this year I will upgrade to a better kit. I have not had time to mess with the pool much this year. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can do my testing...if I can remember how!
This is my first year opening up a pool with water already in it. We had an Intex for years that we just took down, dried and put away, and I have to admit that so far this has been much easier than the Intex. I thought fopr sure I was going to be opening up a green , scary lagoon looking mess under the cover and thankfully I was wrong!

Christine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.