help me upgrade my paragon timer.

Mar 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have an old paragon timer that I cant find the trippers for anywhere. I saw at leslies the intermatic T104 mechanism only for 45 dollars. Can I swap out mechanisms and keep the same box? and if so how hard is the wiring?

4621736496_c4fa2942be.jpg

4621126687_26d1c46dc4.jpg

They look close to the same size. The only way to know for sure would be to measure your unit and then go to Leslies and measure the T104. The wiring is easy. Instead of 1 & 4 for the line and 2 & 3 for the load, the T104 uses 1 & 3 for the line and 2 & 4 for the load.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
heyitsme06 said:
I bought the intermatic T104R DPST. which is 208-277V Double Pole single Throw.

I dont know if I have single pole or double, what does this mean?
I dont think mine is 120v since everything on the lable said208-240 so I got the 200+ volts.

Double Pole means there are two sets of on/off contacts, to control two separate wires. That is what you want for a 240-volt circuit, whether or not you had it before. You did, in fact have Double Pole--based on the little wiring diagram on the door of your old switch (see the two little arrows?) Single Pole just has one set of contacts. Double Throw would mean two contacts on each wire, so that current is switched from one contact to the other. Can be used for high and low speed, for example. Single throw means just on/off on each wire.

You got the right timer. Did you get some extra trippers? I take it you are swapping out the box. I think this is advisable, because, although the Intermatic mechanism will probably fit in the Paragon box, it looks to me as though the tabs and locking spring are different so that it would not mount securely. Sort of ghetto if you leave it loose in there, if I may be forgiven.

heyitsme06 said:
no the price difference was like 10 dollars so I just bought the new intermatic with its own box. what do I need extra trippers for?

I prefer to run my pump twice a day, in the AM to give the skimmers a chance to clean the surface, and again in the PM when I usually dose the pool with LC. It's also nice to have a reserve set, because the little effers like to disappear (or their little screws). You won't find them at a box store (I think), but every decent sized town has at least one Intermatic dealer (most electric supply houses are). They always have them.

You'll wire the new T-104 just like the existing timer EXCEPT swap the wires on terminals 3 & 4. In other words, put the black & blue wires that are now on term 4 on terminal 3 and the red & blue wires that are on term 3 on term 4.

Since you are going to need to pull the wires out of that box, take a little extra time and label everything very carefully so you can be sure it all goes back together the right way. It is possible to figure out again from scratch, but it is so much simpler if you can just have it labeled from before and hook things up directly to where they need to go without head scratching.

thanks! I did label the wires with some masking tape and wrote the numbers as I pulled the old timer. The gfci outlet was a pain because the wires were really short so I barely made it work. It was pretty straight forward and I didnt get shocked too much... ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.