Adding sequestrant

Oct 8, 2009
At what point do you need to add sequestrant, say for iron? Do you wait for the stains to appear or is this a preventative measure? I ask because when I do my ch test my test solution turns purple not blue. I read that when the sample turns purple it is a sign you have metals...iron in the water.
I am tempted to take the pool water in to be tested for iron but from reading here the pool store testing is not always accurate.
Any suggestions and what is the best sequestrant to buy?
Also, my pool was filled in the fall of 09 with municipal water but I have a well I use for topping off the pool and I know there is iron present in the well water.
Thanks for any suggestions!

If you don't have any specific reason to suspect metals in the water, and the pool wasn't just plastered, then there isn't normally any need to use sequestrant at all. You can see purple in the CH test for a couple of reasons, I wouldn't automatically assume that you have iron in the water. I would just skip the sequestrant until you have some additional indications of metals.

JasonLion said:
If you don't have any specific reason to suspect metals in the water, and the pool wasn't just plastered, then there isn't normally any need to use sequestrant at all. You can see purple in the CH test for a couple of reasons, I wouldn't automatically assume that you have iron in the water. I would just skip the sequestrant until you have some additional indications of metals.

What would indications of iron in the water be other than testing? I'm just wondering since I probably will be adding water to the pool from my well after backwashing and having lots of kids in the pool!

Thanks for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.