Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Thinking very hard to do this. I have a SWG and i tested water this past weekend and had a TA of 140. Looks like from what i am reading i need to use MA and bring that down before adding the borates correct. What is fastest way of doing this or should i go with the optimizer or supreme plus? Says i need 13 boxes of 20 mule and 4 gallons of acid.

The following Pool School article describes how to lower TA:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity

You do want to get your TA where you want it before adding borates because it will be harder to adjust the TA after the borates are in the water.

Some people have built aerators to speed up the "add acid/aerate to raise Ph" cycle. A Google search will probably result in some pictures (sorry I don't have any bookmarked). I went the 20 Mule Team Borax and MA route and it wasn't too bad, but from what I've read the boric acid path sounds easier.

Good luck!
Gordon

I just did this on Sunday, It was very easy. I used the calculator to figure out how much 20 mule and muriatic acid to use. I put in half of each and then brushed the pool and then Added the rest of it, and brushed again. I checked the ph to make sure it was in the range that I wanted. Its was a bit high so I added a bit more MA and all seems to be well.
I can tell a difference in the water, it seems to be softer on the skin and the hair.
good luck

I did this recently aswell. The effect I am getting is not a good one to me. The pH seems to creep up much quicker now than in the past. Of course this means more MA needs to be put in at a time aswell. Costing more than the benefits I was expecting. Going through more than double the amount of acid as I was before. Having to add approx. 32oz of MA every 3 days.

I know i need a test kit and i am currently using one of those accutest digital testers but i just checked and it says my TA is now 110 and PH is 7.3 after putting MA in yesterday. Tried 2 strips with one at 110 and other at 115.

Just ordered the following:
TF-100
Speedstir
Lamotte Borate Strips
Salt Test Strips

Can not wait till they come in to try.

Tonedeaf,

What is your current TA level? If you've been adding acid, then the TA should be dropping over time. Stop adding baking soda to raise the TA and just let it drop to see if the rate of pH rise slows down at a lower TA level. The Borates in the pool should act as a supplemental pH buffer letting you have a lower TA level.

Normally, the borates by themselves don't reduce the total amount of acid needed, but do slow down the rate of pH rise -- but when you do need to add acid, you need to add more to lower the pH back down. If there is nascent algae growth, then the use of borates can result in lower chlorine consumption and that lets one turn down the SWG on-time and that can lower the rate of pH rise.

So your situation is certainly unexpected and different from what most experience. Try a lower TA level to see if that helps. Also, check the FC level and if it's higher than the roughly 5% of the CYA level see if you can somewhat lower the SWG on-time.

Richard

Added Borax and MA just like calculator said on Wednesday and tested water this morning.
Temp. 88
Saturation Index -0.2
CYA 39
TC 7
FC 7
PH 7.3
TA 93
Total Hardness 222
SALT 3300
Borates 53

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.