Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size is my filter

1. Back To Top    #1

What size is my filter

Hi All

I'm going to try using Fiber Clear this year and the bag tells you how much to use depending on how many square feet your filter is. I have a Proline DE model 40 filter. It is 10 years old, and while the owners manual technically exists, finding it wold be better left to someone like Indiana Jones.

I measured the grids. there are 4 @ 8.5" x 12" and 2 @ 7" x 12". that equals 4' x 1' times 2 sides which equals 8 squre feet. Is this right? What has me confused is the chart on the bag starts at 24 sq feet. That is a long way from 8. If my math is right I can just use 1/3 of the amount in the chart.

It is a 15' round above ground pool if that matters.

Thanks for your help

SE Pa (Philly area), 8 yr old 15' round AGP, 5300 gal, DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What size is my filter

Proline DE model 40 = 40 square feet? I thought that was the typical numbering scheme. All the ripples and curves and wrinkles add to the surface area.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central NJ

I would agree, 8 square feet is still 1/3 of 24 sq.ft in NJ too! So 1/3 the amount for a 24 square foot recommended amount would be the appropriate initial amount. Expect 10% to remain after backwashing so reduce recharges accordingly until you clean the grids again.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks MITS. That is what I first thought. Model 40 = 40 sq ft But, the grids are flat with a sock over them. There are no curves or wrinkles.

Thanks Scott.

I guess another way I could double check is the filter uses 3 scoops of DE. The Fiber Clear website says it takes 1/8 the amount of FC. So 3/8 of a scoop should do it.

SE Pa (Philly area), 8 yr old 15' round AGP, 5300 gal, DE filter.