Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test

1. Back To Top    #1

First test

Hey all,
    My PB provided us with test strips along with our pool starter kit (brush, net, floating chlorinator & vac and hoses). I plan on buying a quality test kit but now isnt the $$$time$$$. The PB sent a guy out on Saturday to get the pool balanced and do all the mechanical start up. He will be back Tuesday to give me a crash course on how to care for and protect our new pool. When he was here Saturday he told me all I really needed to care for an Arizona pool is: Chlorine tablets, Acid and shock. That seems pretty simple to me and maybe a to good to be true.
    Here are my number from the strips.
    CI: 3
    TCI: 3
    ALK: 40
    pH: 7.6
    TH: 100
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test

Too good to be true.
    When was the pool filled?
    Acid will be needed almost daily - you will have a difficult time managing with just strips.
    Did the PB add CYA? Are there tablets in the pool now, via chlorinator or floater?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool finished filling Friday morning. Not sure about the CYA. The chlorinator does have two tablets in it.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, then read this:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...aster_start-up

You need to closely monitor your PH level to keep it below 7.8, this can drift very quickly in a new pool while the plaster cures. Frequent acid additions also lower TA, and I'm a little concerned with the TA level already being so low - can you get that checked with a drop based kit at a local pool store?

I understand that $ is an issue right now but it's a small investment that will protect your $$$ investment - your pool. It's well worth the initial expense, believe me.

Tablets in the chlorinator are a good idea while new plaster is curing, it helps keep the PH in check while providing chlorine and building your CYA level.

But read Pool School - you can't rely on tablets all the time - eventually your CYA will get too high. Then you'll need to switch to bleach or liquid chlorine.

Routine shocking is unnecessary in a properly chlorinated pool. Maintaining the FC according to the CYA chlorine chart should prevent any reason for having to shock.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com