Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Start up Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Start up Problems

Hello, just opened my pool with various problems. First of all I have an inground pool with a Hayward sand filter approx. 11 years old. When I started pool I noticed a lot of air bubbles coming out of jets while the pressure never reached an adequate levell. I opened up pump lid and poured a lot water via hose into it to try to fill up return line. Started up pump again and noticed this time had no pressure at all out of jets and pump wasn't even filled inside to create pressure. Getting late here so giving up for the night.
    If there is anyone with suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
    Thx Jason

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pool Start up Problems

What you are describing is a suction side air leak that will not allow your pump to prime.

Once you find where the air is leaking in, your pump will prime, the pump strainer basket will fill completely with water, and your psi will be normal.

The air leak is somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the pump. Pump basket lid, unions, etc are common problem spots.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Coastal Plain, NC

Re: Pool Start up Problems

"Need more input"

How long have you been managing a/this pool?
    Did you do the winterization last year?
    If so what did you do?
    What is the plumbing like?
    What kind of valves?
    21k IG : Hayward Perflex EC65A DE Filter + 1.4 THP Northstar pump : Aquabot Turbo T2 : DelZone Eclipse-4 Ozonator : Floatron Ionizer : Some chlorine
    Pool cover an elephant can stand on. Painted concrete base or shell, with fiberglass upper side walls, and plastic/vinyl rim. Concrete deck.