Latest Test and Other Junk

MyBad

Feb 24, 2010
AZ
Hi, since getting my test kit, and reading up here, I have a much better understanding of keeping the pool up. My numbers today from my test kit: *note water is crystal clear
FC-8
CC-0
TAC-8
CYA-60
pH-7.6
TA-100
CH-300

I have been keeping my target FC at 8.0 [no overnight loss]

So I go to the Pool Store to see what my water looks like to them. Obviously he tells me my Chlorine is to high, but there test's are just about what I get...so I'm happy.

Then he tells me the TDS are 2700, and phosphates are 2500. So my face gets red, cause ...hey I don't know...and he is drilling me about lowering them, trying to sell me some stuff to do that, other customers are telling me, yah drain the pool....buy this and that...lol...so I come home and read up here and feel much better.

Problem is I have taken the water to the PS about 5-6 times since March. The TDS numbers they have given me have been up and down from 1000>750>1200>1000>2700?? So man I don't know.

Any way so should I just ignore the TDS/Phosphate numbers??

Thx MB

Yes, ignore the TDS and phosphate readings. They have no bearing whatsoever on your water balance.

Enjoy your pool and ignore the pool store yahoos. :goodjob:

MyBad said:
Problem is I have taken the water to the PS about 5-6 times since March. The TDS numbers they have given me have been up and down from 1000>750>1200>1000>2700?? So man I don't know.

Any way so should I just ignore the TDS/Phosphate numbers??

Thx MB

Yep. They can't sell you something if the numbers are low. As time goes by, the TDS in a pool will climb. When TDS numbers get high, changing the water does make the water easier to maintain.....BUT it's not because of the TDS reading, it's because of the CYA being high. Changing water lowers both.

I'd say ignore them.

I haven't got a clue what my TDS or phosphate numbers are, but my pool is sparkling. This is despite extraordinarily high CYA and CH numbers, thanks to a steady diet of pucks from the previous owner and California's normally hard water.

And I suspect you're under similar water restrictions as I, where a drain & refill will: a) cost a lot with tiered water rates; and b) probably earn you a restrictor on your meter, installed at your expense.

TDS mainly consists of salt. If your TDS reading were actually 2700 (unlikely given the poor precision of their tests), you could reasonably assume that somewhere 2000-2200 ppm of that is salt (subtract the other stuff you've tested).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.