Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine in Bulk Sizes

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine in Bulk Sizes

I just checked out my local pool store and they can get sodium hypochlorite 12% in both 5 gallon and 15 gallon containers. The larger size comes in a returnable Carboy and costs $47. A small diameter spigot is free or you can buy a larger heavy duty 2" one for $25.

It seems like a reasonable deal so I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I called the chemical company that actually supplies the stuff and they say it comes in 3 times a week from the factory about an hour north of where I live so it should be quite fresh. They promised to send over a chart showing how fast the stuff loses potency but I haven't gotten it yet.

It seems like an interesting option. If nothing else it saves a lot of trash in the form of gallon containers.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine in Bulk Sizes

You are one of the lucky folks who has a pool store willing to work with their liquid chlorine customers. Take advantage of it. It's a great way to do things.

3. Back To Top    #3

Where?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Portland, OR. But when I called the distributor they were happy to sell direct also. Funny thing is it cost a bit more than from the store.

As far as I can tell bulk is pretty readily available because most commercial pools buy their acid in bulk and it all comes from the same place. The store didn't stock Chlorine but was happy to piggy back it on their next order for acid.

If that doesn't work try calling your local distributor. I can't see why they would differentiate between an individual and say a health club. At least mine was happy to take my business and they didn't even ask that I open an account. Cash was fine.

I'm thinking that besides being cheaper the stuff is probably more potent since its so fresh.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

$47 for 15 gal? WOW! That's expensive!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Uh, Ok. A box of 4 gallons is $27 so I thought it was a good deal. What do you pay for 12.5% where you are? Or do you have a good source for lower concentration (unfortunately no Walmarts near here)?
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If you buy in bulk here, my store and all of the others around, 20gl min, $1.64 per gallon. Bottled gallons are $3.29, refillable 2.5gl are $4.10 if you have a jug. It's all 10.5%, we get shipments of 3K gallons 3-4 times a week. Plant is 1.5hrs away.

This is interesting to see prices from around the country though. Now I see why people say it's expensive. You just may have got a killer deal in your area.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

again this is in my region, the cost of living here is low, so maybe in your area you may've struck gold with those prices

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd love to be able to get 12.5% in 15 gal carboys.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

If you buy in bulk here, my store and all of the others around, 20gl min, $1.64 per gallon. Bottled gallons are $3.29, refillable 2.5gl are $4.10 if you have a jug. It's all 10.5%, we get shipments of 3K gallons 3-4 times a week. Plant is 1.5hrs away.

This is interesting to see prices from around the country though. Now I see why people say it's expensive. You just may have got a killer deal in your area.
    Nice. Just so I understand correctly if you fill 8 of the 2.5 gallon jugs at a time the cost is $4.10 each?

Can you tell me anything about what these jugs look like? They sell the same size here but they're not refillable. I'd like to know what they look like so I can ask to see if we can get them.

At the price you're paying the carboy should be around $25. I'll shop around and see if that is possible. Unfortunately I don't think so.

You lucky dog.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

jugs look sorta like these

the gallon jugs look just like these but with our label and EPA info on them

That's $4.10 plus tax, so $4.39 total, sorry. If you don't have the jug of course there's a $6 deposit on them.(you buy them)

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm really surprised they let you use your own container. Up here first time they give you the carboy and its covered with labels and warnings specific to whatever is inside and when you bring it back they trade it for another full one.

It could be exciting if there was some residue in left over in one of those that was incompatible with whatever you are buying. Plus I'd think the EPA and a whole bunch of other agencies would have a cow over something like sodium hypochlorite being sold this way. Or do I misunderstand how the system works.

But I'm still jealous of the deal you guys have.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by sbe
    I called the chemical company that actually supplies the stuff and they say it comes in 3 times a week from the factory about an hour north of where I live so it should be quite fresh. They promised to send over a chart showing how fast the stuff loses potency but I haven't gotten it yet.
    If they still didn't send you a chart, you can use the one at the bottom of this page.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Two local pool stores on US Rt 22 here sell LC in 5 gal. carboys. One is $18 plus $6 deposit for LC from Buckman Labs. The other is $17 plus a $7 deposit from I don't know where. Carboys are identical but different colors and you can't turn in the yellow for the blue or vice-versa.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If they still didn't send you a chart, you can use the one at the bottom of this page.
    I understand Table 1 but do you have any idea what the 4 charts that you click through mean?
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

16. Back To Top    #16

Table 1 is all you need to look at. The charts that you click through to are about decomposition by-product differences between this particular brand of chlorinating liquid vs. other lower quality brands. Basically, some other brands have more metals in them which makes them degrade faster and product more of certain by-products. I wouldn't worry about those charts.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Would you happen to know roughly what happens to half life for temperatures below 75F? I assume it increases but does the rate of increase flatten out?

Also Table 1 only gives the half life so without knowing the shape of the curve its not possible to estimate what strength the solution would be for at say 90 days. Any idea what the curve looks like?

It would be nice to be able to stockpile a 30-60 days supply since I've got a cool dark place to store it assuming the loss of potency was relatively minor, perhaps only 10-25%.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Intex S.W.G.

18. Back To Top    #18

Uh, Ok. A box of 4 gallons is $27 so I thought it was a good deal. What do you pay for 12.5% where you are? Or do you have a good source for lower concentration (unfortunately no Walmarts near here)?
    Last year a shop near me had 4 gallons 12.5% for $16.60, but also had a 2-for-1 web special so it's actually half that. I did have to put down a one-time deposit for the crates but now I just trade in the empties for fresh.

The list price is competitive with Target or grocery store bulk Clorox, but the 2-for-1 really cinches the deal.

I haven't been by yet this season, but I'll have to remember to ask them how often they get deliveries.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

19. Back To Top    #19

Would you happen to know roughly what happens to half life for temperatures below 75F? I assume it increases but does the rate of increase flatten out?

Also Table 1 only gives the half life so without knowing the shape of the curve its not possible to estimate what strength the solution would be for at say 90 days. Any idea what the curve looks like?

It would be nice to be able to stockpile a 30-60 days supply since I've got a cool dark place to store it assuming the loss of potency was relatively minor, perhaps only 10-25%.
    I haven't looked at the table, but isn't the definition of a 1/2 life the amount of time that an item takes to deteriorate by 50%? That would mean 100% solution with a 1/2 life of 10 days would be 50% in 10 days, 25% in 20 days, 12.5% in 30 days, 6.25% in 40 days, etc. Every 1/2 life time period cuts in 1/2.