Baffled by SWG choices - which do you recommend??

HarryD

May 17, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
I've about made up my mind to add a SWG as soon as I have the plaster redone next month. I can't really find specific brand recommendations. All the "reviews" are sponsored by manufacturers. Which units are worth looking at and which do I stay away from? Thanks for any and all anecdotes, suggestions, etc.

Harry

I am not as price sensitive as most people, so I got an AutoPilot. They cost more and have some very nice features, hardly essential but cool, like the large alpha numeric display that tells you things in English instead of just having a couple of LEDs or a single number.

If they all operate with near equal effectiveness I suppose I make the decision based on the user interface and, in my case, how it is plumbed into the system -- I'll have a lot easier time with a unit that can be cut in on a horizontal run, like the Agua Rite. And finally on cost. Thankfully, like Jason, cost does not have to be my primary factor.

Harry

CompuPool and CircuPool are the same except for the color scheme and some variations in the pricing. They are fairly basic units, but have everything you really need. I haven't heard anything about reliability yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
My personal list of units worth looking at, in order of increasing price:

Above Ground
Intex
Hayward Aqua Trol

In Ground
CompuPool
AutoChlor RPMINI.FW
Hayward Aqua Rite
AutoPilot Digital

Hi Jason. i am planning an all pentair system (intelliflo, cartridge filter, intellibrite pool lights, easytouch pool and spa controller) to get the extended 3 yr warranty. i believe the easytouch integrates well with the pentair intellichlor which i dont see on your list. would you recommend against this or is this a reasonable choice based on the controller integration?

thanks

The IntelliChlor is a fine unit. Historically their reliability has been a little worse than the Hayward units, but it isn't a dramatic difference. If you are getting an EasyTouch system you should definitely go with an IntelliChlor so they will integrate properly.

Getting a unit that is somewhat larger than you need is a good idea. The cell will last longer, eventually more than making up the price difference. Getting something around twice as large as you need is just about right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.