Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baffled by SWG choices - which do you recommend??

1. Back To Top    #1

Baffled by SWG choices - which do you recommend??

I've about made up my mind to add a SWG as soon as I have the plaster redone next month. I can't really find specific brand recommendations. All the "reviews" are sponsored by manufacturers. Which units are worth looking at and which do I stay away from? Thanks for any and all anecdotes, suggestions, etc.

Harry
    40 year old 20k gunnite pool...
    No brand names

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baffled by SWG choices - which do you recommend??

My personal list of units worth looking at, in order of increasing price:

Above Ground
    Intex
    Hayward Aqua Trol

In Ground
    CompuPool
    AutoChlor RPMINI.FW
    Hayward Aqua Rite
    AutoPilot Digital
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Baffled by SWG choices - which do you recommend??

Jason, out of your list what would be your first choice?
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not as price sensitive as most people, so I got an AutoPilot. They cost more and have some very nice features, hardly essential but cool, like the large alpha numeric display that tells you things in English instead of just having a couple of LEDs or a single number.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, Autochlor RPMINI.FW is not available anymore, only the salt water version.
    Also, RPMINI is a model for spa and very small pools, it won't cope with 20k pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyone used CircuPool? It looks a lot like CompuPool and seems cheap. Or is it just cheap?

http://shop.saltpoolinstaller.com/pr...3&categoryId=1

Harry
    No brand names

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I like the new Jandy units myself.

8. Back To Top    #8

If they all operate with near equal effectiveness I suppose I make the decision based on the user interface and, in my case, how it is plumbed into the system -- I'll have a lot easier time with a unit that can be cut in on a horizontal run, like the Agua Rite. And finally on cost. Thankfully, like Jason, cost does not have to be my primary factor.

Harry
    No brand names

9. Back To Top    #9

CompuPool and CircuPool are the same except for the color scheme and some variations in the pricing. They are fairly basic units, but have everything you really need. I haven't heard anything about reliability yet.

10. Back To Top    #10

they've been released only a few years ago, so i suspect we won't find out about their reliability for another few years.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    My personal list of units worth looking at, in order of increasing price:

Above Ground
    Intex
    Hayward Aqua Trol

In Ground
    CompuPool
    AutoChlor RPMINI.FW
    Hayward Aqua Rite
    AutoPilot Digital
    Hi Jason. i am planning an all pentair system (intelliflo, cartridge filter, intellibrite pool lights, easytouch pool and spa controller) to get the extended 3 yr warranty. i believe the easytouch integrates well with the pentair intellichlor which i dont see on your list. would you recommend against this or is this a reasonable choice based on the controller integration?

thanks
    20x47' double roman vinyl liner pool. Pentair EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40, 011018 Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420, Pentair 120V IntelliBrite LED, Cleardeck indeck solar reel, 530 sq' solar system Polaris 9300xi robot, Interfab Turbotwister slide, S.R. Smith T7 diving board, deck jets vinyl-liner-pool-build-in-ontario-canada-new-pictures-t30213.html

12. Back To Top    #12

The IntelliChlor is a fine unit. Historically their reliability has been a little worse than the Hayward units, but it isn't a dramatic difference. If you are getting an EasyTouch system you should definitely go with an IntelliChlor so they will integrate properly.

13. Back To Top    #13

Next question: My pool is 20-22K gal. I think I've settled on the Aquarite. Do I go with the 25k gal or the 40k gal version? Is this like a filter where excess capacity is desirable, or is it just wasteful?
    Thanks again,
    Harry
    No brand names

14. Back To Top    #14

Getting a unit that is somewhat larger than you need is a good idea. The cell will last longer, eventually more than making up the price difference. Getting something around twice as large as you need is just about right.