Triton II 140 emitting sand into pool

The first time it was changed they insisted that the sand was improperly installed and the laterals were broken upon the filling of it. That wasn't the case because even after they changed it continued to happen from time to time. The second time it was replaced it was probably just to appease me. The problem continued they now insisted that my backwash line was too long about 800' and they said it was pulling a vacuum so I had a ball valve installed, for the most part it quit but from time to time it would reoccur. Someone advised me to unscrew the site glass as well and this almost eliminated it all together unless of course I forgot to do one of the two steps.

I just had it plumbed into the same line as sewer plant discharge line which is aout 50' away and both pump into 12" line to the city sewage because I was worried about leaving the valve open or forgetting to unscrew the site glass. Would you believe that this has happened to me several again. My pool has been covered with sand numerous times. I can't imagine that there is any sand left in the filter. I have no problem with changing the filter to another brand or style but I'm concerned that this will not fix the problem.

Pentair and SCP surely was of no help to my situation hopefully someone can give me some advice on this.

Given the issues that you've had, the first thing I'd do is install a vacuum breaker in the discharge line and see if that solves your problem. It's nothing more than a check valve open to atmosphere with the flow going toward the line. That would not allow a vacuum on the filter after the backwash was complete. Manually trying to do it with a block valve or by unscrewing the bulleye is always going to be hit or miss.

If you're vacuuming the sand up with a suction side vacuum it's going right back into the filter. If you're not you could be low on sand.

Just go to your local big box store and buy a PVC spring check valve, short piece of PVC pipe & a 2" PVC Tee. Cut the tee into your backwash line near the filter and install the check valve on top of the tee with the arrow pointing toward the backwash line. That will do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.