Bleach versus pucks

Currently using 3" pucks in an inline feeder. I've been reading on the site about using bleach to avoid increasing CYA. Using this method, what is the typical maintenance? Is it added daily, weekly and how much. I realize this will vary by situation to some degree, that's whya I ask typically speaking. Newbie just trying to get my head around all of this.

Thanks!

Typically enough bleach to replace 2 or 3ppm per day. At 25K gallons, you'd be talking a couple of quarts a day. That varies widely depending on your sun exposure, bather load etc..

I have found adding bleach every night after work is what works best for me and this is what I have been told it should be added every day if you add chlorine manually. I also noticed that if I wait a few days, my FC gets too low and the possiblity of algae to grow at the extreme temps we will be having soon.

Rob621 said:
Is the bleach just dumped directly into the pool, skimmer or where?

You can pour it slowly into the skimmer, in front of a return or around the deep end. I use a Liquidator, made by Hasa, which is a liquid chlorinator.

Rob621 said:
Is the bleach just dumped directly into the pool, skimmer or where?

As stated above in front of a return is how I do it. I picked up a small plastic bucket that measures in 8 oz so that I could measure out the amount of bleach I need to add instead of having to guess. This works well for me and avoids me having to lug the bleach bottle around.

Have you found Jason's Pool Calculator yet? Link in my sig.

You can play around with the calculator and it also has an "Effects of Adding Chemicals..." near the bottom.

Based on a 25K pool, it will take about one gallon (4 quarts) to increase you FC by 2.5ppm.

I am one of the BBB'ers that adds bleach each evening, after the sun is off the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rob...welcome to TFP...your other alternates to avoid adding CYA would be to add a SWG or Liquidator (liquid chlorine dispenser).

I can see you have been reading Pool School :goodjob: This site rules and will save you money in the long run...the key to all of this is getting a good test kit, such as the TF100 or Taylor k2006. BBB is more about knowing your pool water chemistry and how diff chemicals affect those chem levels rather than Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda (Although they are much cheaper thAN THE POOL STORE STUFF)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.