Pumps hooked up, but cover is still on

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
Here's my situation. I bought a new pump, and got it all hooked up. I reached under the cover and removed the plugs from the skimmer and return. I let the system prime, and ran the pump a bit. It has a couple drips (the plumbing, not the pump) which I'm monitoring.

I haven't gotten help yet to remove the cover. I'm also waiting for a test kit. Is it foolish to get the chemistry right before I take the cover off? Or is this okay? I'll probably only get the cover off next week, but I would like to get a jump on the chemistry.

From what I can tell, there are a few small bits of leaves and stuff in the water, but I can see to the bottom, it's very clear.
Test strips say I have 0 chlorine, so I'm definitely keeping the cover on before I get my test kit.

What are your thoughts? If I get me test kit before I can get my cover off, should I go ahead and start the chemistry and pumping? Or wait till I have the cover off.

Hello~

Running your pump is a good thing. Get that water circulating so that past season's CYA, CH, etc. get all mixed up well.

I think that you should start using your test kit as soon as you get it. Testing is fun, and it is good practice to be thorough and serious about it. Keep a journal which you can refer to all summer and back to next season.

I also think that there's no harm in plugging your numbers into the pool calculator and finding an amount of bleach to be adding now in order to bring up your FC level to something that will get you on your way to whatever your running goals are.

Lana

I have put two bottles of liquid bleach, but it was from Big Lots (a closeout store) and didn't specify the chlorine concentration... after 1 bottle, the test strips still said 0. I haven't tested after the second, but I'll run the pump some tonight, and test it. I don't know if I should even bother trying chemistry yet, but at least it gives me an idea of how high/low my levels are.

I went to the grocery store, and bought some store brand 6% bleach, a box of 20 mule borax, and some more baking soda.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.