SPARCO filter? MAXIM pump? Green Sludge!!! Not a clue!!!

May 17, 2010
Ok...bought a forclosure...above ground pool that has been empty except for about 6 inches of green sludge for about a year...three kids that really want a working pool!!!

I don't have a clue as to what I'm looking at or what I'm doing but I figure the first step is to remove the green sludge...I'm working on that but it leads me to the following questions once I get that done.

1) What is the best way to clean the vinyl liner once the sludge is removed?
2) What is the best way to fill it? (seems like running a hose from the spigot is going to be very costly...is there a better way)

After that, I'm sure I'll be posting again.

Welcome...

Are you saying the AG vinyl pool is empty for the last year?... the liner will probably need to be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if something catastrophic happens to the liner when you go to fill it. Any ideas how old it is? Does the liner feel brittle or flexible...

Have you read this article:
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Some people have their water trucked in, but many just fill it with the hose over the course of 3-4 days.

I'll definitely check out that article...I had seen a reference to it in another post but was unable to find it, thanks for the link!

Yes, it was empty for the year (from what I've been told). It had a tarp cover on it...it has aluminum walls as well...the vinyl does not feel dry or brittle anywhere so far...but I have only been taking buckets of sludge out of it...I figured I'd do a more thorough check while scrubbing it.

I'd be very careful then - Its possible that keeping the liner covered will allow it to be salvaged (we'll keep our fingers crossed for ya :))

Just get out as much of the sludge as you can as quickly as possible, and start filling it asap, you don't want it uncovered too long the sun will dry out the liner and make it brittle. get it filled up and brushing and chlorine will do the rest.

Wow..so glad I posted here...had the cover off for a couple days now getting rid of sludge, didn't know that it would make it brittle! Thank goodness it's been cloudy...now I have to get it filled...Thanks!!!

I'd go ahead and start filling then - you can still get the muck out with water in there using a leaf rake.
Visit Pool School - click on the Visual Encyclopedia and scroll down for an image of what a leaf rake looks like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.