Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why no algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why no algae?

I posted a few weeks back about some persistant algae that I had trouble shaking. Ended up being a chemical issue, got it fixed - things were sparkly.

Cut to about a week or two ago - a) we've had several heavy, windy storms moving through every other day and b) My kids started baseball so I haven't even been out to look at the pool in that time.

So today I go out and the pool is completely full of leaves. Not dried up dead leaves, but fresh leaves that blew off of the trees in the storms. All over the place. Lots on top floating, lots on the bottom.

So I get to netting them, then after I get most of the big stuff out I vaccuum. But I noticed that there was almost ZERO algae present - if any.

Got the debris cleaned out, vaccuumed (about 3 hours worth of work) and everything seemed hunky dory. Pool was sparkling. So got the testing kit out.

Alkalinity - perfect
    Calcium Hardness - perfect
    PH- perfect
    Stablizer - perfect
    FC - none (as expected, I guess)

Led me to wonder - why would my pool be so relatively clean if there has been no FC present for so long? I suppose it could have just recently been eaten up, but that isn't what i suspect. Wouldn't all of the rain and leaves have caused algae for sure?

Added a big jug of bleach and retested a few hours later and FC was back to where it should be. All is well in the pool world again. Now if we'd only get some swimming weather I can turn on the heater.
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Why no algae?

My guess: Luck.

If you'd waited a couple days, you'd likely have one of those poetic sapphire pools.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Like Richard, I'm guessing lucky.

We might have more of a clue if you posted real test results. "perfect" is not a difinitive test result. I suspect your CYA is high enough to keep some FC in there for several days if it started out on the high end of your chlorine/CYA recommended level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have the numbers handy, but you might be correct.

CYA was inside the high end of the range listed on the testing kit (Leslie's $50 testing kit).
    PH was exactly in middle
    Alkalinity was slightly higher than dead center.
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.