What is the most acid we can add at one time?

May 16, 2010
I have a SWG quartz pool, 11,000 gals. Our equipment is Pentair Intelli Chlor and Pentair Intelli Flo.
We just reduced water by 8% to bring the CH to 350. After re-filling the pool>
PH: 7.8
CL: 3
FCL: 4.0
CYA:50
SAlt: 3500
TA: 120
Borate:70
Water Temp: 72
I need to bring our TA down so need to add 55 of acid according to the pool calculator (also need to add some CYA).
The guy at the pool store says we can only add 16oz of acid per day.
I this true? If not what is the most we can add at one time?
Thanks,
Terry

16 oz of acid per day is a good guideline given that you don't have any idea what your levels are. The whole point of the limit is to make sure that you don't lower your PH below 7.0. Since you know what your levels are, and can use the Pool Calculator, you can add a lot more acid at one time and still be confident of not lowering your PH too far.

Making PH changes is somewhat unpredictable, so I wouldn't add more than half of what the Pool Calculator recommends at first. Give everything half an hour to mix in with the pump running, retest the PH to see where you ended up and then continue adjusting from there. After you get a little practice with it, and find out if you are consistently under estimating or over estimating the amount of acid you need, you can switch to adding closer to the full amount of acid all at once, again being careful not to bring the PH below 7.0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.