Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

My Polaris 380 booster pump (I believe it is the origina PB4-60, not the Halcyon Q model) is 15 years old and has always been noisy. However, this season it's gotten so loud you can't hear a conversation if you're sitting close to it - sounds like its about to self destruct. I would like to replace it with a quieter pump from a different manufacturer and also a less expensive one, if possible (I've heard other polaris pumps and they're all too noisy).

Any recommendations (based on successful installations) on a quiet 110v pump with 1.5" fittings?

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

I don't really know from pumps but I have a PB4 and I don't think it's all that loud. Being inside the shed helps of course, but even with the doors open it's no problem to hold a normal conversation right there. So I would first suspect something reasonably repairable, like needing new bearings. Hopefully someone mroe in tune with pumps will be able to answer with more confidence.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page