Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

Hello:

My Polaris 380 booster pump (I believe it is the origina PB4-60, not the Halcyon Q model) is 15 years old and has always been noisy. However, this season it's gotten so loud you can't hear a conversation if you're sitting close to it - sounds like its about to self destruct. I would like to replace it with a quieter pump from a different manufacturer and also a less expensive one, if possible (I've heard other polaris pumps and they're all too noisy).

Any recommendations (based on successful installations) on a quiet 110v pump with 1.5" fittings?

Thanks

Keith
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 380 replacement booster pump

I don't really know from pumps but I have a PB4 and I don't think it's all that loud. Being inside the shed helps of course, but even with the doors open it's no problem to hold a normal conversation right there. So I would first suspect something reasonably repairable, like needing new bearings. Hopefully someone mroe in tune with pumps will be able to answer with more confidence.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page