Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool temp is 187F...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool temp is 187F...

... OK not really, it's 74F, but that's what the equipment is reading!

Intellitouch i5 system with an all Pentair supporting cast including MasterTemp heater.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the water temp sensor would intermittently indicate the pool was boiling and thought nothing of it. Hey, I have a regular pool thermometer that I trust more than that reading anyway!
    Now I come to heat up the spa and, of course the system thinks the water is over 102F and won't spark up the heater.
    (As a side note I cannot get it to start manually but that's more than likely use error.)

My initial reaction is that the sensor is on the fritz and replacing it should do the trick.
    Something like this for ~$50 looks like the exact match:
    http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=2416&froogle=1

Before I go ahead..... I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone wiser than me has any pointers?

Thanks in advance
    My Pool: 27K gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Polaris 280 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool temp is 187F...

Quote Originally Posted by matj6876
    ... OK not really, it's 74F, but that's what the equipment is reading!

Intellitouch i5 system with an all Pentair supporting cast including MasterTemp heater.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the water temp sensor would intermittently indicate the pool was boiling and thought nothing of it. Hey, I have a regular pool thermometer that I trust more than that reading anyway!
    Now I come to heat up the spa and, of course the system thinks the water is over 102F and won't spark up the heater.
    (As a side note I cannot get it to start manually but that's more than likely use error.)Check connections for looseness/corrosion. Temperature sensors work off resistance, so a bad connection can cause problems.

My initial reaction is that the sensor is on the fritz and replacing it should do the trick.
    Something like this for ~$50 looks like the exact match:
    http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=2416&froogle=1

Before I go ahead..... I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone wiser than me has any pointers?

Thanks in advance
    I wish I knew the parameters. In the car world, unplugging a sensor gives us a reading of -40F. Shorting the plug reads 273F. If those work, it's the sensor. But I don't know what pool electronics use, so that's just as an example, not as anything you should use for diagnosis.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Different applications fail different ways. In the industrial world the default is to have and open thermocouple fail high. A shorted T/C reads ambient.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, when my heater started acting strange, I called the local pool company that inspected the pool when I got the house a few months earlier.

That is the part he replaced. Cost me $275. Next time, I'll try to replace that part myself!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

The sensor can go bad, but usually it is a problem with the cable between the sensor and the control unit. Check along the cable and see if it is nicked or cut anywhere and make sure it is fully connected to the control unit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing that you could try is flip flopping the wires between the air temp sensor and pool temp sensor to make sure that it is a bad sensor and not a bad board.

HD
    The Arcadian Dragonfly
    20,000 Gallon, vinyl IG with sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just gonna throw my $.02 in here =

The thermistor sensor is probably shot The thermistor is what reads the temp of the pool water.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a thermistor prob too, didn't much matter for heat but it sure did for freeze protection, had to replace it, luckily was under warranty as it was only a few months old. Ha you had me hooked 187, I thought wow I could cook a hotdog in his pool
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

9. Back To Top    #9

Its the temp sensor, you can find it drilled into yaud return line.It has a small low voltage wire from your intellitouch to temp sensor. Looks identical it the air sensor

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep - I should have come back and closed this one off. It was the sensor. $40 replacement part and about 20 mins to replace. Local Pool place wanted $250 parts & labor... so I saved a buck or two on this one. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    My Pool: 27K gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Polaris 280 Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Less expensive and efficient - that's we're all about

I'm happy your issue was so easy to resolve!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)