Have questions. Need Help!! In process of shocking!!

Mar 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I posted about a month or so ago some pictures of my "swamp" that I am trying to get clean. I pulled out whatever I could from the bottom and now I am in the precess of shocking it starting early this morning. I have to backwash every hour because the pressure is rising about 10 psi and the returns are not moving a lot of water.

My question is what should I do overnight and tomorrow because me and my wife are both not home for a majority of the day and at this rate I definitely cant leave it on.

Thanks,
Andrew

The rate at which you have to backwash and Replenish FC (You are bringing your FC back up, right?) will diminish over time.

Do it as late tonight as you can, once again tomorrow before work, and as soon as you can when you get home. How often you replenish FC and backwash will determine the speed at which your pool clears up.

andy00018 said:
Hello,

I posted about a month or so ago some pictures of my "swamp" that I am trying to get clean. I pulled out whatever I could from the bottom and now I am in the precess of shocking it starting early this morning. I have to backwash every hour because the pressure is rising about 10 psi and the returns are not moving a lot of water.

My question is what should I do overnight and tomorrow because me and my wife are both not home for a majority of the day and at this rate I definitely cant leave it on.

Thanks,
Andrew
Call in sick. Tell them you're fighting a cyanobacterial infection. :mrgreen:

Are the returns always slow, or is it only after the pressure rises? If always, that might be normal, and I'd question the accuracy of the gauge, since you live in a section of the country that freezes.

duraleigh said:
The rate at which you have to backwash and Replenish FC (You are bringing your FC back up, right?) will diminish over time.

Yes I am keeping FC levels at 20. (Have a TF-100XL) Checking every hour and adding about 182 oz of 6% about every hour right now. CYA is at 30 and I am in direct sunlight now and I was in the morning also. At about 6:30 I will have cover from trees and the house.

Richard320 said:
Are the returns always slow, or is it only after the pressure rises? If always, that might be normal, and I'd question the accuracy of the gauge, since you live in a section of the country that freezes.

The returns are powerful after backwashing and slowly diminish from there. I also have a brand new filter and gauge.

Should I add more bleach maybe to about FC of 25 tonight? Also would leaving the pump on recirculate tonight and tomorrow during work to atleast keep the water flowing help at all or will that not do anything? I just dont want to waste what I started!!

Do you have a multiport with the "recirc" option?

While not optimal, you could use that to at least move the water and chlorine (spread the chlorine love) without risking having a fatal blockage of the filter while you're not there to take care of it.

Just a thought that you might make use of. :)

You were both thinking the same thing!!!! Boosting to 25, in this case, would be okay as well. I wouldn't go much higher than that.

It really sounds like you have the idea. I think you'll still have some FC when you get back tomorrow evening.

duraleigh said:
I think you'll still have some FC when you get back tomorrow evening.

I think my wife is going to come home and check FC during lunch and add the necessary amount (running on recirculate). So as long as there is any FC in this case there is no chance for algae to grow (even if it falls to say 2 or 3 by the time I get home)?

I still cant see the bottom but when should I start to vacuum to waste? Should I wait for it to clear up a little more so I can see the shallow end or do a little everyday? (there is definitly broken down leaves coating the bottom. when I stir it you see them coming up)

So as long as there is any FC in this case there is no chance for algae to grow (even if it falls to say 2 or 3 by the time I get home)?
Yeah, it's not as good as having the FC up all day but it'll still work just fine.

I am concerned about the "broken down leaves" If you have any solid matter in the pool, you should get it out with a big leaf rake ASAP. Do you have one?

That'll almost be a requirement to clear your pool. Even if you can't see down there, scoop them out so the chlorine has less to work on.

If you clear the pool of all the solids with the rake, there will be little reason to vacuum to waste, I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.