Help me figure out my equipment

Deez

Jun 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Last summer I moved into a foreclosed home with a pool. I used this site to figure out how to clean it from green to blue. I figured that was enough knowledge. Now after a few months of not swimming and having a solar cover on it, I neglected it a bit and its slightly green. I know how to fix it now, but I had some basic questions that might help me clear up the water quicker.

I have 2 floor drains in the deep end, 1 skimmer, and 1 vacuum port on the side. I'm having a hard time figuring out if those floor drains are actually working or not. I'm doing a lot of brushing but its taking forever to see any improvement. Also I cant tell for sure if the dirt that i push towards the drain is getting sucked in, most of the time it seems to just cloud up the water.

I switched the valve to 100% cleaner and got no flow. The vacuum port has a cover on it so that explains that. I had just had it on 100% skimmer. Because nothing was labled as drain. In the skimmer, there are two holes at the bottom. I believe one goes to the drains and the other goes to the pump. I'm just hoping to get some advice on what settings to use to get the maximum cleaning out of this.

Second problem: My pressure reading on the filter is 7psi after backwashing. This seems a bit low. I've cleaned out both baskets and even poked around the impeller a bit (found a small rock and removed it, psi went from 5 to 7) Is this too low? What should I do to improve this? Thanks in advance.

051610104700.jpg

Look inside the skimmer. There will likely be two holes in the bottom. One goes to the pump, the other to the drain. You should have had a diverter in there, under the basket. It looks like a flying saucer. On the bottom of it is a flapper that slides. Fully closed, all water comes from floor drain. Fully open, it's easier to suck from skimmer than lift from the bottom, so no floor suction. The right setting for your pool will be a matter of trial and error. My pool had no diverter, so no suction at all from the bottom. It was only about ten bucks for a new one, at the pool store, even!

Deez said:
I had no idea that I was missing that piece. I'm going to try to get one of those diverters today. Thanks for the quick response. :cheers:

Any suggestions about the 7psi on the filter? It just seems really low.
It will only work if there are two open holes in the bottom! If you only have one, it's plumbed some other way.

PS. I'd suspect a bad gauge for the pressure. Snap the glass a couple times with your finger, like flicking an ant, and see if it moves any.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.