HELP--Cloudy water, but NOT really green?

Jun 19, 2009
Delaware
We opened our pool on Saturday. Once we got the filter running, we backwashed for about 3-5 minutes. Tested the water, lowered the pH, waited about an hour and shocked with bleach to 10. Yesterday, the water had a slight green tint to it--hubby didn't see it, but I did. We ran the filter for about 9 hours yesterday, but we turned it off at night because my husband didn't want to get up to check on the filter pressure (it's hovering between 18-19).

Today, filter's been running since 6:30 am. Now, the water just looks cloudy. I can see the bottom of the pool, but it's cloudy water.

Here are the numbers:

FC: 7.3
CC: 0.6
PH: 7.6
TA: 67
CH:
CYA: 10

I have no idea what to do next. The pool store said something about stabilizer, but we only went in there to get our water tested. Not for any of their contaminants. LOL! Thanks for any and all help! :)

You are going to want to keep shocking until your CC is at .5 or less (zero is best) and your water is crystal clear. You are going to need to add some stabilizer so that your chlorine will last longer. A CYA of only 10 is going to allow your chlorine to be evaporated by the sun rather quickly. A good CYA level is between 40 and 50.
Keep running the filter too. Since you just opened the pool, there are probably a lot of little particles suspended in the water making it look cloudy. The filter will eventually get all that out. Keep it up, it will clear.

I also think your TA is a bit on the low side, so after you get the pool clear, you may want to raise that with some with some baking soda.
Appropriate levels are listed in the Pool School section under the recommended levels

TravisD said:
You are going to want to keep shocking until your CC is at .5 or less (zero is best) and your water is crystal clear. You are going to need to add some stabilizer so that your chlorine will last longer. A CYA of only 10 is going to allow your chlorine to be evaporated by the sun rather quickly. A good CYA level is between 40 and 50.
Keep running the filter too. Since you just opened the pool, there are probably a lot of little particles suspended in the water making it look cloudy. The filter will eventually get all that out. Keep it up, it will clear.

I also think your TA is a bit on the low side, so after you get the pool clear, you may want to raise that with some with some baking soda.
Appropriate levels are listed in the Pool School section under the recommended levels
What he said.

Thank you so much! :)

So, I can go to Walmart and get some stabilizer, right? I'm assuming I'd use the stablizer per instructions listed on the bottle. I never really paid that much attention to the chemicals at Walmart... hope they DO have some. If so, I'll pick it up later this afternoon.

Thanks again! :)

TravisD said:
Yes the stabilizer at Wal-Mart will be fine. You can use the Pool calculator to find out how much you will need.
http://www.poolcalculator.com

Make sure to read Pool School to learn how to add it if you need to. It's explained under the "recommended pool chemicals" section.

I like the Walmart stabilizer/conditioner the best as it is a finer powder and disperses into the water from sock or stocking much faster than other brands. If you place the sock/stocking in front of a return and massage it a few times you can get most of it out of the sock/stocking in a few hours. I like to use heavy women's tights as you can get about 2 lbs in one and they don't run like stockings can. It, also, seems to dissolve into the water faster so I can usually get a reading faster than other brands.

As I have to backwash so often, due to our EXTREME environment with so much fine clay and chalk powder constantly blowing in from our frequently high winds, adding CYA happens pretty often around here. I would put a floater in with TriChlor to keep levels up but doggies think is is a great play toy. The float isn't nearly as expensive as some of their "rescued" and "killed" pool toys (cleaners, floats) but I don't want them chewing on TriChlor tabs. :evil:

My advice, after just doing two pools. Put in less than called for on the container or Pool Calculator. Do only about 2/3 first addition. Reason...... being pretty close in both pools on volume it took less than called for. On my pool the beginning CYA reading could have been higher than I judged. On my friends pool I got a 0 CYA reading but it could have been 20 or higher due to the subjectivity of the test and lighting condition in which the test is read.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.