Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart has gone BBB!

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart has gone BBB!

Here are a couple of pictures from the pool section of my local Walmart:

They have about 3 times as much GV in the pool section as they do in the laundry aisle, and as you can see, it's selling!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walmart has gone BBB!

Sweeeeet!
    18'x52" Round AGP, Vinyl liner
    Hayward E-100 1.0 HP sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm thinking someone in Bentonville has been reading our little forum!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well how about that!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wish mine did that, I know I'm not the only one using BBB since bleach is almost always gone!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

Ours hasn't reconfigured their stocking strategy yet, but the bleach sure flies off the shelf there.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

Now if they would only sell it more concentrated as 10% or 12.5% (assuming their turnover is fast enough) and let you take back the bottles for reuse, then you'd have less weight to carry and be better for the environment not having so many plastic jugs to recycle. One step at a time, I suppose.

[EDIT] If local pool stores wanted to compete, they could do just as I described. My local pool store now sells 12.5% chlorinating liquid for $3 per gallon which is equivalent to $1.11 for a 96-ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (technically 6.17% trade). [END-EDIT]

It's also interesting that Arm & Hammer has figured out that they could sell their baking soda directly for pool use (in larger packaging).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, it may be time for a little magic-making. You might be surprised at the reaction that we could, working together, generate.

We still need to know who to direct such a request toward. If, in a short time period, one person got a few hundred emails talking about what this particular Walmart is doing, and how they would like to see these things in their local store, maybe we could get some action.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any Walmart connections?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek

[EDIT] If local pool stores wanted to compete, they could do just as I described. My local pool store now sells 12.5% chlorinating liquid for $3 per gallon which is equivalent to $1.11 for a 96-ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (technically 6.17% trade). [END-EDIT]

It's also interesting that Arm & Hammer has figured out that they could sell their baking soda directly for pool use (in larger packaging).
    Strangely, this same store sells liquid 10% shock, but they want $11.97 for 2 gallons, which works out around double the price of the bleach.

It was the first time I've seen the A&H labelled with the pool on the front. I didn't think to compare the price of the baking soda to the alkalinity increaser.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

My walmart has been selling those big bags of arm and hammer with the pool pict on the front for a couple seasons now
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    My walmart has been selling those big bags of arm and hammer with the pool pict on the front for a couple seasons now
    Mine, too - but in the past they seem to get one delivery and then not restock.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Mine, too - but in the past they seem to get one delivery and then not restock.
    That's pretty normal Walmart practice. They don't want any left over, so they try to only stock it during the season it will really sell. I expect they'll be disappointed in sales here, since most local water systems have at least 200ppm TA.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Maybe walmart saw the pool on it and saw what it say and put it in the pool area. But that is the way to go. You can always try to speak with the managers are the local walmart and see if change will happen.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

I saw those Baking Soda bags at wally's last season as well, but if I recall correctly, I just went over to the baking isle as the price they wanted for that bag was something to the tune of $12-$15...no thanks A&H...I'll take the "regular" baking soda...lol
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I saw those Baking Soda bags at wally's last season as well, but if I recall correctly, I just went over to the baking isle as the price they wanted for that bag was something to the tune of $12-$15...no thanks A&H...I'll take the "regular" baking soda...lol
    Was the size and everything the same besides the packaging?

16. Back To Top    #16

The thing is, ...once they've discovered what a seller bleach and baking soda are for BBB users, they WILL either raise the price or find some other way to make a higher profit from it. Despite their 'low' prices, they are are PROFIT oriented, which of course, all retailers are. But still....

Until recently, I spent 26 years in manufacturing for a world wide corporation, so I know some of the ways Walmart is able to deliver their low prices. What most people are unaware of is that Walmarts buying demands from manufacturers inevitably contribute to people needing to live cheaper as companies try to continue to profit through production 'savings'. (Downsizing, job loss, increased production speeds). Not to mention other retail outlets that are forced out of market because of it. (More job loss)

I live 8 miles from the nearest small town which has had a small Walmart store there for many years. They've added a couple food aisles in the past few years. There are two other larger grocery stores, (one has lost a lot of business, but NO other department stores. I hate that unless I want to drive 30 plus miles, I'm resigned to shop there. If there were another department store in that town, Walmart wouldn't have my business at all.

In the opposite direction, another 15 miles from me, there is a small tourist community. Local shops, summer touristy type of place. A few years back they fought and were able to keep Walmart out of their area.

No offense to anyone who works for them, my sincerest apologies if anyone is. I do realize they employ those who choose to work for them as well as many who do not have a choice. It's my own opinion, but it's based on personal production experience and many things I've read about them.
    22 ft octagon, inground, 4 ft ave depth - figured @ 11,400 gallons, well water
    Steel walls with sand bottom and vinyl liner : under full sun
    Harmsco Betterfilter w/14 paper cartridges
    1 hp Hayward motor

Baqua to Chlorine in 2010.

~Wisconsin~

17. Back To Top    #17

I was at my local Walley's last night and they had just placed the big bags of Baking Soda in the pool section. The bleach is still over in the grocery section all the way on the other side of the store. And we don't do much grocery shopping there.
    They are totally revamping and moving all sections around; Super Walmart. I first went all the way to far end of inside garden section where they had mostly pool supplies, with the purple HTH tops and caps and then back towards interior of store where they had another, more complete supply of pool and spa chems, soft side pools and other equipment, and pool accessories and toys. I wanted some noodles but they didn't have any. Hope soon as the price is good at Walley's. My dogs like to shred them so they don't last long around here.This section also, had green tops and caps on the HTH products.

Over the years we have kept a few noodles around the house and outside to break up dog fights (few and far between, thank doGness). Works great with most dogs and doesn't hurt them at all. With my Briard *****, who was really butch, and bullied all the dogs, all I had to say was "bonker" and she would ease off. Briards are sheep herders/protectors, usually working independent of humans and "need" to keep control at all times which includes herding people and all other animals in their pack. They attempt to control people but you have to establish dominance very early.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    I was at my local Walley's last night and they had just placed the big bags of Baking Soda in the pool section. The bleach is still over in the grocery section all the way on the other side of the store. And we don't do much grocery shopping there.
    They are totally revamping and moving all sections around; Super Walmart. I first went all the way to far end of inside garden section where they had mostly pool supplies, with the purple HTH tops and caps and then back towards interior of store where they had another, more complete supply of pool and spa chems, soft side pools and other equipment, and pool accessories and toys. I wanted some noodles but they didn't have any. Hope soon as the price is good at Walley's. My dogs like to shred them so they don't last long around here.This section also, had green tops and caps on the HTH products.

Over the years we have kept a few noodles around the house and outside to break up dog fights (few and far between, thank doGness). Works great with most dogs and doesn't hurt them at all. With my Briard ****, who was really butch, and bullied all the dogs, all I had to say was "bonker" and she would ease off. Briards are sheep herders/protectors, usually working independent of humans and "need" to keep control at all times which includes herding people and all other animals in their pack. They attempt to control people but you have to establish dominance very early.

gg=alice
    I am glad the dollar store by my house has the noodles for a dollar.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek

We do! Been doing it for 3 years now. 1gl of 10.5% = $3.29

The refillable 2.5gl containers are $4.10 to refill.

20. Back To Top    #20

Sorry Jule, but I have worked for Walmart for 17 years and all I can say is -don't believe everything you read. It's not a perfect company, but they have always done well by me! (And yes, you do have a choice to work there or not- nobody is forcing folks to work there.) Anyway, I actually am in charge of the pool chems this year since they have been moved into my area of the garden center. Our store also has been carrying the A&H bags for a few seasons now. As for the bleach, well, you know how it is.....I mentioned putting bleach in the pool to my store manager (who is thinking about getting a pool himself) and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. I'm sure he is making enough money to afford to pay the pool man. But I am still going to try to get a bleach feature next to pool supplies! If at first you dont succeed, try, try again!

-
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast