Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Titration Test for FC

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Titration Test for FC

This morning I did 4 consecutive tests and got the following readings: 16.5, 15, 20, 19. Do any of you have a way of making this test more accurate? In my opinion, the size of the scoop and the dissolving rate of the powder have to be the variable that causes my readings to vary somewhat wildly. To my eye, it looks like the "heaping scoop" is the same size on each test, but who knows. I do know my water sample is identical each time and I'm wiping the end of the titration bottle after 5 drops.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TF-100 Titration Test for FC

Actually, the amount of powder has little to do with it. As long as there is enough powder to turn the solution pink, the test will perform correctly.

Having test results that far apart is not normal, for sure, but I can't think of an obvious reason why it is happening to you.

Wiping the dropper tip doesn't hurt anything but that really is only applicable to reagent R-0009 when you are doing the TA test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm confused myself...I'm getting the water sample from the exact same spot in the pool everytime. It seems to me that a smaller amount of powder turns the solution "less pink," which I would think would turn clear much easier? Is this logic not applicable to this test? That sure seems to be the case with me.

Thanks,
    Alan

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is this logic not applicable to this test?
    Not quite. A smaller amount of powder will result in less intensity of the pink but the endpoint of the test should be the same.

That's why "a heaping scoop" (which is a pretty innaccurate measure) is sufficient for this test.

It is also not uncommon for the powder to not dissolve completely......makes no difference to the endpoint of the test.

My assumption is your pump is running when you take the sample from below the surface and/or your pool water is thoroughly mixed.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

So this is probably a stupid question...I'm a new pool owner...should the pump not be running while doing these tests?

Thanks,
    Alan

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by alanrmeadows
    So this is probably a stupid question...I'm a new pool owner...should the pump not be running while doing these tests?

Thanks,
    Alan
    There are no stupid q's.
    Yes, the pump should be running and should have been running for at least an hour before taking a water sample to make sure the water has mixed.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought maybe Dave meant that the pump should not be running while conducting the actual test...but should of course be running up until the time of the test.

Thanks,
    Alan

8. Back To Top    #8

Now I see that I read his question wrong...YES, my pump actually runs 24 hrs., so my water should be thoroughly mixed, but I still can't get a consistent reading with the FC titration test.

Thanks,
    Alan

9. Back To Top    #9

The only other thing that I can think of is that you are testing with a slightly different amount of water each time you test. Your FC is high right now since you are shocking. With such a high FC, even tiny variances in sample size can make enough of a difference that your results are skewed.

You must ensure that the sample lies perfectly at the 10 ml mark each time using the bottom of the meniscus as a reference point. I have attached a picture for you to understand what I am talking about. This is just a generic picture and is not saying that you should use the amount indicated on the test tube in the photo. Your sample size for testing FC should be 10 ml.

Some people use a dropper or a syringe to make achieving to proper sample amount a little bit easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

How long do you wait between drops? The R-0871 reacts quickly but not instantly, as far as I can tell. Swirling the sample tube constantly, wait 1-2 seconds between drops.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

That's the problem with using small sample sizes. The bigger the sample size the less significant the error. But with a bigger sample size you use more reagent. 10% error with 10 mL is 1 mL, that's an easy error to make, whereas a 10% error with a 100 mL sample is 10 mL, less likely to happen. Try changing the sample size (try 25 or 50 mL) and adjust the equivalence factor accordingly.

12. Back To Top    #12

This morning I did 4 consecutive tests and got the following readings: 16.5, 15, 20, 19.
    Do these numbers represent the FC levels in each test, or the number of drops needed to clear the solution?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

13. Back To Top    #13

This morning I did 4 consecutive tests and got the following readings: 16.5, 15, 20, 19.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Just curious if all 4 tests were done from the same water collection or independent collections?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

14. Back To Top    #14

Beez and AV8TOR,
    They were actually my FC results...not drops. All were independent samples from the same spot in the pool.

Thanks,
    Alan

15. Back To Top    #15

I was just like you in the beginning and would get various results. I found that trying to put the stuff in and mix by hand was hard. IF you have the money and can afford it get this little gadget and it will help a lot.

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

I have found when I do my FC test, I alwasy try to do a huge scoop and usually my test are spot on each time.

Maybe someone can expand on this as well, would the size of the drop affect the test?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

The Taylor reagent bottles dispense 42 uL per drop, or if you put it another way, 24 drops are required to dispense 1 mL of reagent. I don't know what size drops the TF bottles dispense, if they are different you may get different results (when compared to Taylor).

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

CaOcl2,

The TF-100 dropper tips are designed to dispense 24 drops per ml as well. Why would you think we might choose a different size?
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

I just thought they could be a different size that's all, I'm just trying to figure out why the results were not repeatable: sample size, drop size, different reagent lots (age), different conditions (lighting), time between sample and test, time of day, dead spot in circulation, I don't know. Apparently the same sample taken from the same spot in the pool require between 30 and 40 drops (22, 30, 40 and 38) of FAS to reach endpoint. Lots of things to check. Didn't mean to say that the TF100 drops are smaller, just looking at all the possibilities.

Doh! Somehow I thought he was comparing his readings with Taylor's, I'm sorry, it's with a single test kit. I'm just back from a meeting where we discussed discrepancies in testing and testing methods (nothing related to here), I guess I was still on that "mode", sorry.