Leveling the Ground for Intex Ultra Frame Pool

May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Just bought one of these. I would like step by step instructions as to how I go about leveling the ground. Intex specifically says NOT to use sand to level the ground. I know that I need to take earth from the high side but am not sure how to go about doing it and making sure it is level. I am prepared to rent a manual sod cutter but in no way want to hire this out. Can anyone help me? Pix would really help!

Cindy

Cindy,
Welcome to TFP!
You asked for a step by step. Here you go!
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL

The styrofoam use is 3 part - comfort - alot easier to walk on, protection - protects the pool bottom from rocks, weeds and other nasties, insulation - insulates the pool from the cold ground. I have been using the foam since we bought our 1st pool ( 6 x 10 ) and set it up on the concrete patio. I learned about it from a friend that put it under his 24' perm AG close to 15 years ago and still has the same foam and liner in.
I just remembered another step:
5.5 Spray area with herbacide and insecticide of your choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i just finished putting up my 16x48 ultra frame and it turned out real good. i'm off no more than 2'' all the way around so i guess it evens out. pool is real sturdy and the grandkids had a blast this past weekend. i used strings tied to stakes around the perimeter of the pool and using a 2ft level we dug out the outline of the pool until level starting with the high side to match the low side. i also bought some liner shield online based on online reviews to put under the ground cloth for added protection. and i have built a deck around one side of the pool which has turned out to be great! the kids jump off the deck right into the pool. the water has remained almost totally clear of dirt and grass. bought a pool ladder that attaches to the deck. ah, the good life! :cheers:

i will post some pics shortly....been pretty busy!

Hi, thank you for these instructions. I'll be setting up a 16' round ultra this weekend. Dumb question, but do the pavers go directly on tarp/ground, not tarp/foam/ground, right? Meaning only the pool liner should be resting oh the tarp/foam, so I will need to cut foam inside of leg supports of pool. Is that right?

Thanks,
Scott

LOL!!! I sure won't forget the beer! I never heard of using styrofoam. Is it just for comfort? I mean, I grew up swimming in concrete pools so I wasn't really worried about that. Thanks for the the great step by step!

Best thing we ever did was put 3/4" foam under ours, what a huge difference it makes.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, thank you for these instructions. I'll be setting up a 16' round ultra this weekend. Dumb question, but do the pavers go directly on tarp/ground, not tarp/foam/ground, right? Meaning only the pool liner should be resting oh the tarp/foam, so I will need to cut foam inside of leg supports of pool. Is that right?

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, that is correct. The foam should not be over the pavers, support legs need to sit on them directly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.