Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playground slides as pool slides

1. Back To Top    #1

Playground slides as pool slides

I'm just trying to figure out what the problem would be with adapting a playground slide as a pool slide. Build a solid framework, pressure treated lumber, take it apart each year for storage. A couple water spigots.

Why, might you ask? A pool slide isn't in the budget, and there's a big difference between a $100 playground slide and a $1000 pool slide.

Has anyone done this?
    18000 gallon in- ground fiberglass pool.
    Hayward DE filter, solar heat in sunny San Jose, CA.
    Automatic pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Playground slides as pool slides

I haven't heard of it before but I guess if it is configured with safety in mind - using angles and distance for landing, etc., I guess it would be possible. I can't say I never thought about that as well when my kids were young.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check with your insurance company... alot of them wont write a homeowners policy with slides or diving boards, and consider you putting one in without consulting them breach of contract and will cancel you. I want one too!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not like the insurance companies are just picking them to be a PITA. There are a lot of safety concerns with slides and dive stands. Strength, stability, and the proximity of water all raise significant and proven dangers.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I HATE the famous "oh no diving boards are evil". Yes there are diving accidents but most of the diving accidents don't involve diving boards or involve pools that don't even follow the NSPI guidelines. There's also another good part of accidents that involve alcohol. I saw the statistics somewhere and only ~10% (if I remember correctly) were caused because of a diving board. This is like a witch hunt caused by sue-happy americans.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    This is like a witch hunt caused by sue-happy americans.
    Thats a little harsh
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

What I notice about "swimming pool" slides is that they are always curved. I suppose that is because many pools do not have a whole lot of decking to support the length for a straight slide and you probably do want the kids to be off the grass as they run back to get on the slide again. Less mud and grass tracked into the pool.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Thats a little harsh
    The truth hurts?

19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Thats a little harsh
    The truth hurts?

HEHE I love it, It's soo true our legal system panders to the weak feeble minded and says "ohh poor you, you deserve some "compensation" let's take that bad person to court so you can get some money" What The Heck ever happend to Personal Responsibilty, Owning up to ones own actions. Mart242 I tip my hat to you for calling it like it IS.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm also in the market for a slide and diving board, and I'm not telling the INSU company squat. It will never be a problem because I Don't let sue happy F@#& Nuts into my house or in my backyard
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

11. Back To Top    #11

When I was installing my deck (3 summers ago) I also purchased a "turbo tube slide". I was in the same boat and couldn't see dropping that much money on a "pool" slide. I did everything myself and was just wanting to get the deck finished so I decided not to put up the slide.

The main reason I didn't is because it was going to take time to engineer it into the design of the deck, and I had free helpers who were wanting to "finish" the project just as much if not more so than myself.

I wanted to build a small tower base about 48" by 48" with a full set of steps "steps are time consuming". I should have decided on a ladder. I also wanted the posts for this tower to come from the gound under the deck. This meant I needed to find the spot where the slide would sit (precisely). which was eating up valuable time on the deck project. So... I just decide to add it later.
    AG, 27' round, 17,100 gallons, Sand filter, 3/4 hp pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Only if you're on the receiving end of Justice's sword.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have nephews, 3 and 1.5, w/ two nieces on the way. I'm thinking that next year, I'll find one of these:

and just screw it to the deck. (I only have a deck at one end of the pool.)

That can't be too dangerous...
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I myself am wanting a slide in my pool, I have a second house that has one turbotwister and the kids loved it. I was able to take all my equipment as new owners don't want pool but alas the slide is curved the wrong way and way to large for the little pool I now have. So I'm planning on making my own slide out of a playground slide that can be moved and taken out during the winter. Looking into designs myself. I've seen quite a few good ones and plan on tweaking the design to make it very sturdy.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

15. Back To Top    #15

I was thinking about the same thing. this isn't quite a $100 slide, but it's got a small foot print, and since I have to build a deck anyway, the platform construction wouldn't be bad.
    . I found it here: http://www.csnstores.com/Swing-n-Sli...header-SNS1101.

Water delivery isn't a big deal, a simple waterfall pump would do the trick, and the piping is easily hidden.

2 concerns:

1) seams - leaking, which isn't a huge deal, you can seal those, but comfort is an issue. I was wondering if you could take some of this: http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html and make a "runner" out of it on the bottom of the slide?

2) speed/safety - we have a large 6ft deep deep end, so I think overall depth would work, but add water, and I'm not sure how to determine if the exit speed would be too high.

Anyone care to comment?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

16. Back To Top    #16

If anyone is going to get a slide for the pool, get one that's DESIGNED for a pool. They are safety rated for a pool (as safe as they can be anyway) have the proper mounting hardware, and, i'll say it again, are DESIGNED for the application.

I missed some of the responses above. This is a family site and very, very nice in the way things are handled. As a result, I will not use the terms, phrases, or words needed to convey what i think of not talking to the insurance company about slides, diving boards, etc. All i will say is that is not a wise thing to do
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

17. Back To Top    #17

I hear ya on all of those points...

Now, what do you tell the insurance company about one of these?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wAjpMP5eyo

Fake video, but if you look at the related videos, there are some really cool backyard water slides. Some that would probably kill you, but at least you go out having fun!
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

18. Back To Top    #18

here is what i did. works great! kids love it! [attachment=2:2f8l2dej]68312.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej][attachment=1:2f8l2dej]90450.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej][attachment=0:2f8l2dej]33156.jpg[/attachment:2f8l2dej]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x52'' intex AGP, 6981 gal, 2650 intex sand filter,
    thru wall skimmer, SWG, 52'' 20G overlap liner, intex pool light

19. Back To Top    #19

[attachment=2:2aln5ilm]54568.jpg[/attachment:2aln5ilm][attachment=1:2aln5ilm]13898.jpg[/attachment:2aln5ilm][attachment=0:2aln5ilm]82389.jpg[/attachment:2aln5ilm]

20. Back To Top    #20

even made a mist system to keep the slide wet![attachment=2:3lzgoao7]32592.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7][attachment=1:3lzgoao7]46476.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7][attachment=0:3lzgoao7]87444.jpg[/attachment:3lzgoao7]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast