Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim at Shock level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to swim at Shock level?

should be done shocking tomorrow if the FC holds. CC is already at 0. Can my wife swim tomorrow if no chemicals are needed after the ones i add tonight to get my FC back up to 15? She wont be going under the water, just cooling off after laying out. And she's preggers. Don't know it that matters, but want to be safe.

After you shock is the plan to just let the FC fall back to the normal range of 3-7 then begina daily testing and adjusting of FC?
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Safe to swim at Shock level?

After you shock is the plan to just let the FC fall back to the normal range of 3-7 then begina daily testing and adjusting of FC?
    That's the plan. Sounds like you've gotten a good grasp of things very quickly. Well Done!!

Most of us use shock value as a guideline to swim/not swim. It's likely just fine to swim in chlorinated water far, far higher than that but shock seems to be an agreed safe value.

I always use the washing machine analogy.....a cup of clorox when you do whites in the wash raises FC to about 250-300ppm with no CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sure the posts here are made in good faith. Whether it is safe for a pregnant woman to swim in a heavily chlorinated pool is not (in my opinion) a question that should, or could, be answered on an open forum. I would take medical advice.
    11,000 Imp galls inground hopper 15' x 35', Delifol liner (vinyl), sand filter, Abrisud Classic cover, Palintest 315C test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, I agree. Just thought I'd throw it in in case it had been asked before and there was a definitive no due to research or something. Never worth the risk in my opinion
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

5. Back To Top    #5

The basic rule of thumb for folks barring medical allowances is that anything less than shock level is okay to swim in. Swimming in water above shock level will result in a faded swimsuit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not wanting to hijack here but Kes, can you refer me (us) to info about your pool cover in your avatar?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    Not wanting to hijack here but Kes, can you refer me (us) to info about your pool cover in your avatar?

Thanks, gg=alice
    You might consider sending him a PM.

8. Back To Top    #8

I Googled it. Certainly is impressive but way expensive. As far as I can tell this brand is only for European market but there is/are USA equivalent.

If we win the lottery I might just have to put one over the pool. If the lottery win is big, though, I'll probably rebuild the pool and put a real house addition on to house dream pool (that I now have a better idea about since discovering TPF.)

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

A more technical discussion of some of the chemistry behind the risks of chlorine has been moved to The Deep End.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School