Fill line suddenly not working

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
It has been a wet winter in North Cal and I had not been using the fill line as the rain has been filling pool to the max.

Now that I have reset the fill line valve to come on I noted that it was not working as scheduled. Found that it will not work when I manually press the button either.

The lawn genie 3/4 inch valve will fill pool when I turn it on at valve. Since I lost my voltage meter I just went out and bought a new solenoid and it still will not work. I have traced the wires from solenoid to mother board in the Intellitouch and nothing is damged or disconnected or corroded or rusted. The wires connect to a connector that is plugged into Valve B and that is what the inside control says Valve B is - FILL LINE.

1. Could I be missing a page on the indoor pad that has disabled the function of this? I change no settings but turning off solar options for heating on the touch pad and unplugging th econnection for the solar on the motherboard to safely not run up to the solar when roof plugs are open.
2. Is it likely that the motherboard has crapped out on this circuit only?
3. I do not know what you call the little raised black boxes (transistors?). Do these become faulty and snap out of board and are replaced?

Clearly question 3 indicates that I could be dangerous here :)

Bob

Hi!

The only manual option I have is to press a button in the house. There is no button on the control panel that turns it on. I have a black and red wire from solenoid that trails into the control panel and is tapped into a connector that goes to Valve B on the motherboard.

Bob

Where it connects to "valve B" should be a relay. If you can have someone press the button in the house while you listen to see if the relay clicks. That would at least tell you if the problem is in the unit or the external wiring.

Well that solves the board problem. If the relay clicks the board is recieving and handling the command. That leaves the wiring since you stated you've already replaced the sprinkler valve. Can you take a picture or draw a diagram of the wiring for the valve and post it here?

[attachment=1:28uaj3qe]IMG_0942.jpg[/attachment:28uaj3qe]I get it - sothe problem is from wire on board to valve, or valve itself.
I may have made an assumption about the valve. When I turn on the nipple screw on left water flows into the pool. So I assume the solenoid is the problem and replaced it with a 24V solenoid that appears the same. I hooked it tothe red and black wires in the white wire, leaving green and yellow snipped and no copper exposed on those. I followed the white wire into the control panel and see the black and red going into the connector clip. The clip is seated and has not been disturbed. Since I do not know how they snap those wires into the connector I have not attempted to re-do that connection. It is the clip above Valve B and to the end of the word actuator.
[attachment=0:28uaj3qe]IMG_0944.jpg[/attachment:28uaj3qe]

Bama!

Thanks for working this through with me and the tons of different configurations people must describe.

After I took that picture and close the panel door the fill line worked for the first time this season!

So I moved the wires that go to that motherboard clip connector and sure enough it shut off.

Despite those wires looking seated in the slats in the clip, they were the problem. Opening the door and removing the solar pump clip must have done it last season.

What is that clip called? Is there a tool (similar to the tool you snap phone line into modules with) that seats the wire better than the backside of a box cutter (which I used).

Much thanks for the "clicking sound" diagnostic!

Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.