This site is a blessing

May 26, 2009
Just a thumbs up to those that support, created, mantain, etc this site. Last year was my first year owning a pool. The house came with it, it was bad shape, and we finally had the money to fix it. Got a new liner installed ( I really trust the pool store we had do it) but knew nothing of caring for a pool or anything about water chemistry. I was nervous about being a pool owner and having a "money pit" as some people have called it.

After coming across this site, and finding out that the pool store knows a lot about building and maintaining pools, but not so much about water chemistry, it just amazed me how much one can learn from a few hours of internet research over someone who worked 30 years in the business. Anyway, I just opened my pool this year for the first time ever, (last year doesn't truly count as it was never "closed") and I'm sure I would've spent a fortune at the pool store on unneeded junk if I didn't know what was what.

Since last year was my first time closing the pool, I had miscalculated the size of the pool cover I needed. The cover was really too small, and combine that with record breaking snowfall this winter, I was constantly pulling the cover out of the pool from it falling in. I gave up in february and bought the only cover they had left. It is oversized, but I will never have it fall in again :)

Anyway, because the cover fell in so much, I had a TON of leaves, dead worms, and I'm sure various other organic material. Knowing what I know from this site, I knew that when I opened it, it would be green. I was able to have enough Bleach on hand ahead of time, and the know how to deal with it. It only took me 2.5 days (and a few hours of vacuuming) to get crystal clear water. I spent a total of $30 on chlorox at BJ's to get it started up, and the satisfaction of having the knowledge to do it, and not make 50 trips buying something "new" to fix the problem is priceless. Thank you TFP members. You have made pool ownership easy and fun (except vacuuming).

Super. Sincerely, thank you for sharing. You have said so much in so few words in a very eloquent manner.

I'm so glad you have a great pool to really enjoy. I've been owned by my pool for going on 24 years. I discovered TFP last summer and the knowledge I have gained has been priceless. :wink: I, now, claim ownership of our oasis and love almost every moment of micro managing it.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.