Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This site is a blessing

1. Back To Top    #1

This site is a blessing

Just a thumbs up to those that support, created, mantain, etc this site. Last year was my first year owning a pool. The house came with it, it was bad shape, and we finally had the money to fix it. Got a new liner installed ( I really trust the pool store we had do it) but knew nothing of caring for a pool or anything about water chemistry. I was nervous about being a pool owner and having a "money pit" as some people have called it.

After coming across this site, and finding out that the pool store knows a lot about building and maintaining pools, but not so much about water chemistry, it just amazed me how much one can learn from a few hours of internet research over someone who worked 30 years in the business. Anyway, I just opened my pool this year for the first time ever, (last year doesn't truly count as it was never "closed") and I'm sure I would've spent a fortune at the pool store on unneeded junk if I didn't know what was what.

Since last year was my first time closing the pool, I had miscalculated the size of the pool cover I needed. The cover was really too small, and combine that with record breaking snowfall this winter, I was constantly pulling the cover out of the pool from it falling in. I gave up in february and bought the only cover they had left. It is oversized, but I will never have it fall in again

Anyway, because the cover fell in so much, I had a TON of leaves, dead worms, and I'm sure various other organic material. Knowing what I know from this site, I knew that when I opened it, it would be green. I was able to have enough Bleach on hand ahead of time, and the know how to deal with it. It only took me 2.5 days (and a few hours of vacuuming) to get crystal clear water. I spent a total of $30 on chlorox at BJ's to get it started up, and the satisfaction of having the knowledge to do it, and not make 50 trips buying something "new" to fix the problem is priceless. Thank you TFP members. You have made pool ownership easy and fun (except vacuuming).
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This site is a blessing

Hence the name TFP...nice testimonial
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

North Central Texas

Super. Sincerely, thank you for sharing. You have said so much in so few words in a very eloquent manner.

I'm so glad you have a great pool to really enjoy. I've been owned by my pool for going on 24 years. I discovered TFP last summer and the knowledge I have gained has been priceless. I, now, claim ownership of our oasis and love almost every moment of micro managing it.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Spring, TX

I also love this site as well. A ton of information and very helpful people.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Great post

BTW - doesn't matter what cover you have, nor if it fits tight as a drum or not, the worms like to play lemming and will be there every year
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)