How to vacuum

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
I tried to vacuum the pool but had problems. The pool company did no leave behind any books or papers. I had to download from the internet information on the pump and filter to know how to get it started. What I tried was to fill the hose with water from the return jet. I put the smaller lid over the skimmer basket and the hose to it. It would create a vacuum for a short time and then the lid would pop off the skimmer basket. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

A few things to check.
1. Is the vacuum plate (lid) completely covered with water while you vacuum?
2. Have you cleaned out the pump basket strainer?
3. Have you cleaned out the skimmer?
4. If the hose is in sections did you make sure all the connections are snug with no air leaks?
5. Did you have an 8-10 point pressure rise on your filter? If so you will need to back wash or bump it.

sounds like your not getting the Whole hose filled with water. not sure if the return trick is fool proof. What i do is:
Unroll the hose so there are no coils. While the hose is out of the water, connect the vac head to the hose. Connect the vac head to the pole, put the vac in the pool and lower it to the floor of the pool. then grab the hose where it enters the water and start pushing the hose into the water till you reach the end, at which point, you'll be able to tell if the hose is full of water because water will come out of the hose before you get the last 2 to 3 inches of hose into the water. then, without taking the hose out of the water, slip it through the throat of the skimmer, not over the deck (until you get good at this). and onto what ever port you have set up as the port that goes back to the pump. If you still are loosing prime by doing it this way, you canat least rule out the vac hose as the problem.

Had my husband try twice today and he couldn't get it to work either. We made sure the hose was full of water. Our problem is trying to get the plate that fits on top of the skimmer basket in. By the time we get it on, the water flow has almost stopped to the pump. The opening of the skimmer has a piece that floats and gets in the way and when we lift it up and out of the way it stops the water flow. Maybe if I show you a picture you will understand what I'm trying to say.
original.jpg

When we lift this up the water stops flowing into the pump. Plus the plate is very hard to maneuver into place.

Top plate
original.jpg

I tried putting the plate through the front of the skimmer and it wouldn't fit that way either.
original.jpg

I'm sure we are doing something wrong that is simple and we just don't see it.

Here's how I do mine.
1) Hook the hose to the vac head.
2) FIll the hose with water.
3) Remove the skimmer lid.
4) Lay the skimmer adaptor within reach of the skimmer

Now for the tricky part! Using one hand in the pool and one hand in the top of the skimmer.
5) Hold the hose in the hand on the on the inside of the pool.
6) Quickly flip the weir all the way over into the pool with the hand in the top of the skimmer and grab and hold it down all the way with the hose in the other hand.
7) Grab the vacuum adapter plate in your free hand and tip it into the top of the skimmer, hose end first,
8) As you lower it into place connect the hose to it with the other hand.

Flipping the weir all the way into the pool will keep it from blocking the water flow until you get the vacuum plate and hose in place.

If you want to forego the flipping the weir trick you can remove the weir altogether. Then you would follow the above instructions except for the weir flipping trick.

I quit using the adapter plate thing after the first time. Now I just stick the hose straight in the hole. Like pool clown says is the method I use. Make sure to get it all hooked up put it in the pool then fill your hose from the return. After bubbles of air stop coming from the vacuum then run the hose through the Skimmer mouth and in the hole (with basket removed). Don't forget to backwash and rinse afterwards turning off pump when changing valve position.

6) Quickly flip the weir all the way over into the pool with the hand in the top of the skimmer and grab and hold it down all the way with the hose in the other hand.
I'll try this. I didn't know that the weir would flip in that direction. If I can't get it to work tomorrow after work, I'll be back!!

It looks a little bit too like your water level may be too low to maintain prime - the water level would have to be higher in the skimmer to keep everything under the water level and primed. But the pics could be deceiving but thats how it appears to me. Maybe an inch more water would make the difference?

frustratedpoolmom said:
It looks a little bit too like your water level may be too low to maintain prime - the water level would have to be higher in the skimmer to keep everything under the water level and primed. But the pics could be deceiving but thats how it appears to me. Maybe an inch more water would make the difference?

Agree level does look a little low. In the first pic you can see the water line stains

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i think you have the wrong style vac plate. I think that might for an in ground pool skimmer? The ones i have used in the past(and my current one) don't 90 off like yours, they point straight up. I blow the air out of the hose(attached to vac head) with the return then connect the plate. Then i put my hand over the hole in the plate and lift the plate into the skimmer. The voracious suction of my filter does the rest. I don't think i could use your plate without shutting off the filter. Plus, i think my skimmer is too deep, the vac hose would get pinched.

maybe you should get a new plate and see if makes your life easier

--chris

I have an idea.. Are you hooking up the hose correctly?? I mean, the vacuum hose I use obviously has two ends but one end is made for the brush while the other is made for the skimmer end.. I have switched it by mistake a few times and it sucks air the wrong way..

Great news, I got it to work tonight! Flipping the weir all the way over into the pool and having an inch or so more water seemed to be the trick. Thanks again for all the help.
But, boy is it hard to do without a deck. Had to drag a ladder around the pool. Plus it was hard to reach the center without my arms shaking. I think decking is going to be moved up on the list of things that need done!

Bama Rambler said:
I just get in the pool to vacuum. Much easier than trying to do it from outside.
I will once the water warms up. I'm only 5'3'" and I have to use the ladder to see what I'm doing. We haven't been in the pool yet since it was installed. Water is 57 today. Saturday we have someone scheduled to run the gas to the heater. Yay!

Sorry about that. I would do it from the outside if our pool was less than 80º too! You should seriously look at the weighted vacuum heads and a very long pole. That way all you have to do is guide it around on the bottom No trying to hold it down while you manuver it. I found a 16' pole at Lowes that works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.