Spare pump laying around

G

I have a spare pump laying around. It pumps about 500gph, the one on my pool does 1000. Other than selling it I would like to use it for something. Would hooking it with the other pump (before my 1000gph, or between my 1000gph and my SWG, or after my SWG) speed up the system or slow it down? I thought maybe getting a 3 way valve to put onto my inlet hose and make some sort of fountain or something with it. If I do that would I have to keep a filter in it? Its a cart filter/pump. Intex style. Would a 3 way valve let water go to both pumps at the same time? Would doing that restrict flow to my 1000gph pump which runs my SWG that has a flow sensor? If I do have to keep a filter in it AND it would restrict the flow then I could just run the pump with the fountain on it when peeps are in since we dont run the SWG while people are in it. Lowes has some 3 way valves in the pool section. I will check it out tomorrow! Just to look and see how it opens and closes.

So I went to lowes today and checked out that 3 way valve. Its 1 1/2" threaded. My hoses are 1 1/4" and they slip on (non threaded) So how would I go about adapting this to my pool or is there something else I can use?

I can't see using one pump to feed the other - whichever one has the lower flow rate will decrease the flow of the other (I think, no math or charts that I'm going by - but I'm sure I'm correct)

I would just keep the second pump as a backup in case the other one ever goes down.

I suppose you could add a suction port and return and use the pump for that, but it'd be more work than it's worth :cool:

So even adding a 3 way split on the port outside the pool would slow it down? After my first post I realized I can't hook it in-line as it would slow it down.

First question is why you are attempting this at all? Do you feel that the turnover rate is too long or not enough circulation?

If you are interested in increasing the turnover rate, then you will want to plumb the pumps in parallel. But even this is self defeating in that both pumps then experience the head loss of the combined flow rate so you don't get a full additive effect and the energy efficiency is reduced. You are better off running a single pump longer than both pumps a shorter time.

If you need more pressure, then you plumb the pumps in series much like a booster pump. But again, I don't see the need for this either.

Ok maybe my poor grammar has thrown yall off a tad bit! In my first post in the middle of the paragraph I mention making a fountain.

So, just so I don't repeat the same mistake I'm starting a new paragraph! Lol! So with turn over/filtration to the side, would connecting the second pump on a 3 way valve drastically affect the flow rate of my main pump?

Sorry but I figured stating that I knew hooking the pumps up inline was a bad idea was enough to show that I was throwing the idea out the door! I want to make a fountain/waterfall!

you can certainly try to make that fountain, but I don't think you'll get much feedback on the idea since that is an out of the box idea for a small temporary pool. But to the extent you are sucessful (anything is possible :goodjob: ) please do let us know how it works out. And do post pics :wave:

Do you plan on making it out of PVC? If so, I did something like that on mine so I could lower TA. All you need to do is get some 3/4" (I think?) PVC, then take out whatever is in the pool for the return. I don't know if you're still using the screen/basket that some of them come with, but whatever you have, take it out. Stick your pipe in the return hole, tighten the screw clamp, and get creative designing your fountain!

That way, you don't have to mess with plumbing two pumps together, and whatever you make will be easy to remove.

Again, I think it's an awful lot of trouble.
Yes, Pax has an SWG but that in itself should be enough aeration to proceed with lowering TA effectively, the need to create a fountain is really an unneccessary step.
Pax, enjoy your pool....:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like to make things! When my wifes chihuahua died I made a small fountain with his picture in it! When I got my first real job I bought a pond for our backyard! My parents set it up for me as a birthday present and bought a waterfall for it! Had a fountain with a light and slate rocks surrounding it! It was beautiful! I don't have a picture of it! I happen to like the sight and sound of running water! Its very calming! With both my parents dead (I'm only 33) I would like to make something that reminds of them! The other day I connected my vacuums hose to my return to aerate my pool to get my TA back down! Being mothers day weekend reminded me of this!

Pax, I know it might be kind of a touchy subject, but I think that would be a great thing to do! :goodjob: My dad died when I was 17 (I'm 25 now), so I completely understand!

So if you're wanting something more permanent, don't use the return hole in the pool. I think it would be better to set it up outside the pool, and use a valve to switch between the fountain/waterfall and the normal return. I wouldn't try to plumb both pumps to the same suction, I think it would reduce flow to both pumps too much to really be effective.

This is just me! I enjoy making things with my hands! Maybe after I clean up the fountain I made for my wife I will post a pick!

Its like a hobby! I just like to create! Not just with water, wood or plexiglass! I am a computer programmer and like to make games! I also know how to crochet! My mother taught me when I was little because I had bad eye/hand coordination! Doctors suggestion.

Now I want to avoid running off of the return line as my SWG will complain about low flow! But now I know this sizes of all the parts! I know my hose is 1 1/4! You think the grate that goes into the port on the inside is 3/4! So the port on the outside has to 1 in! I can get it to fit now! I just need to know if the second pump on the same inlet port will affect my other pump drastically!

Now that I can see. I can still use the same 3-way valve as it can run all 3 or just one side or just the other side. So I can switch between the 2 if there really is a flow problem with both pumps running at the same time. And this way my skimmer will still have its effect too.

Now I need to stop posting from my blackberry. It takes me forever to reply and for some reason when I click on submit my mouse is actually hitting the FULL EDITOR button and I keep going to it instead of submitting and minutes later I finally realize what has happend.

At any rate I will take one of my spare hoses to lowes with me to have something to measure by. If the port on the outside is 1 in then I should be able to find a 1 1/2 - 1 in threaded/slip adapter to connect my hoses. I might have to buy a short hose or a small pvc pipe to connect the switch to the port on my pool!

I might take the next week and clean up my wifes fountain. I would really love to post a better picture of it and a video of it in action to you guys. Its just beautiful. To be honest I love waterfalls! My girlfriend before my wife took be to Brown mountain (i think that was it) to see the water fall there.

Ya know I think im gonna call my step dad and see if he still has that old pond! I originally gave it to my mother after she moved from that old house and to other places after that. I do miss it.

Thanks for any input that you guys can give on it! Now that you know what I want. That was my fault for not being more clear. That and I started to get defensive when people start talking to me like I am an idiot that hasnt been listening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.