Do those solar pills or solar rings actually work?

Jun 11, 2009
Hi There! We have a 27' round pool (second season) with a Fafco 4x20 solar panel. We are adding another 4x20 panel on this year.

Trying to decide whether to get a solar cover or try those solar rings or the solar pill.

I'm thinking the cover is the best, but I'm short 5'2" and hubby is not home during the day when I would need to get it off for the kids and I to swim.

Curious on what others have found with these?

Also...should I get a lighter weight (12mil) cover if we go the cover route since it would be less heavy to manuver?

Thanks for your input!!

yup the pills do not work....very little if at all. Given your situation and size of pool, I would advise using the lighter solar cover. Adding the 2nd panel will help alot...3 panels would probably be perfect for a 27ft pool...I'm just in the process of adding a 2nd to my 24ft

i am fairly new at this...but I purchased a solar cover two weeks ago and it rocks...if you will not have help taking it off...you will need a reel...Although there was a discussion on here a month ago about cutting them in half

A solar cover was included in my pool package when I bought my pool. Used it twice before I realized it was WAY too much effort to get on and off without a reel. I then realized, I live in central Florida and don't really need a solar cover because I can usually swim all the way through October before closing the pool. I reopened in March this year, but it was a bit cooler than normal.
I agree with the others though, either get a reel or get the lighter one. It was a lot harder for me to remove than I thought it was going to be.

The solar cover will keep the heat in that you generate with your panels as well as keeping crud out when you aren't swimming. Saves on cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.