Am I crazy?

May 25, 2007
A year or more ago I started making plans for what I would need when my pump finally died, which it decided to do this opening. Typical bad pool store advice, above ground pump for a 22,000g IG pool. Oh well, it lasted 10 years.

Through recommendations from here I settled on the Pentair whisperflo 3/4hp 2 speed. Shopped the net and found swimmingpoolsetc.com had the best price by about $50, so went with them. I called to see how fast they could get it to me, hoping the savings would fund expedited shipping, but they said they don't stock it and it's special order from their vendors and would take 7-10 days. I order, and in the meantime find another above ground old pump to get me by (very lucky it turns out).

So anyway, two days ago it arrives. I open the box, and this is what I find-

Whisperflopump001.jpg

Very loosely packed, like it was a return.

Whisperflopump002.jpg

Lots of paint flaking off motor, bracket around switch bent/collapsed and switch loose from housing.

Whisperflopump003.jpg

What looks to be environmental exposure wear on top of the motor housing. Housing and pump are dull, like they've been subject to UV for some time.

Whisperflopump004.jpg

Damaged connection flange, gouged with material missing.

Whisperflopump005.jpg

Wear on bottom like it's been sitting installed somewhere.

I immediately call the place, they ask me to take pics and email them, which I did. They promise to get right back to me. Nothing by the next afternoon so I call them. They say they emailed the vendor the pics and haven't heard back. I ask them to call them while I hold. They say they can't do that, will call them then call me back. No call back but 30 minutes later I get an email that says vendor doesn't sell used pumps they shipped a brand new pump. I call immediately and disagree, she tells me all the damage shown in the pics is quite normal for a new pump. I ask her if I called Pentair would they agree? She said yes. So I call pentair, and from my descriptions they say absolutely not. Pics are on the way to them now, but all I can get from them most likely is to agree with me.

What would you do?

that is bs...my superflow...looked nothing like that...no scratches, no flaking...it does look something like that now, but that is after a full season of exposure...sorry, but your not overdoing it...that is unacceptable

No prob...I will say the packing does look original though....but not the condition of the pump. Yes, there is no cord (whip) with new IG pumps...you have to order seperately...btw, I may have a regular 3 prong for you from hayward (brand new in package)...if you need a 3 prong, since I needed a twist lock plug...but I'll have to check...maybe just shipping and a few $'s vs having to spend $15-20 on a new whip.

dmanb2b said:
btw, I may have a regular 3 prong for you from hayward (brand new in package)...if you need a 3 prong, since I needed a twist lock plug...but I'll have to check...maybe just shipping and a few $'s vs having to spend $15-20 on a new whip.

Very interested, thanks :) Let me know.

grrrr :grrrr: ...spent the past 15 mins looking for it and can not find it...seems my dear wife has done some reorg in the garage....if I find it I will let you know...if not just assume it's been discarded :hammer: ...I'll keep you posted...If I recall it was a 12 ft 3prong cord

dmanb2b said:
grrrr :grrrr: ...spent the past 15 mins looking for it and can not find it...seems my dear wife has done some reorg in the garage....if I find it I will let you know...if not just assume it's been discarded :hammer: ...I'll keep you posted...If I recall it was a 12 ft 3prong cord

I only need about 4', but it would work if you find it. If not my brother is a union electrician, I'm sure he can rig something up for me :)

Rangeball,

Sorry about what happened to you. Do a search on the Better Business Bureau website for WWW Development Inc.-Swimming Pools Etc and you will find that they have a lot of complaints registered against them. I also check out online merchants using the www.resellerratings.com website before I order from them. That being said, I did place an order this spring from Swimming Pools Etc. despite reading all of the bad things about them. They simply had the best price on a stainless steel railing manufactured by SR Smith. The parts that I ordered were shipped directly from the manufacturer and were brand new and I received them in a timely fashion. I was willing to take a gamble and it paid off. From what I have read about them, this could have easily gone the other way. I quess that I dodged a bullet.

Hopefully, you get this quickly resolved and get the new pump that you paid for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rangeball said:
Whisperflopump003.jpg

What looks to be environmental exposure wear on top of the motor housing. Housing and pump are dull, like they've been subject to UV for some time.

To the upper left looks like a manufacturer's date stamp which reads 11/06. Pentair should be able to look up the serial number and tell you when it was made.

Dude... dont keep agonizing yourself over it... pack it up, ship it back and reverse the charges on your CC. I have had similar happen to me and AMEX backed me to the hilt with about the same level of documentation. Go with a good store and put it behind ya. There are some bad folks in the world and when I run into em and it costs me a lil money I just look at it as a cheap way to learn never to deal with them again.

As a bonus, the chargeback goes against their records with the cc companies and they may have done this enough that they get charged a higher cc rate to take transactions.

Yep, what Lershac said. Turn this over to the credit card company. They will likely credit you and deal with the vendor in their own special way.

257WbyMag said:
Yep, what Lershac said. Turn this over to the credit card company. They will likely credit you and deal with the vendor in their own special way.

Thanks fellas. I did exactly that last Friday afternoon :)

I have provided the serial # to pentair and they now have my "case" assigned and all the pics. Hopefully I'll hear from them this morning about the pumps real history.

Can't believe I forgot to post an update to this drama.

Pentair said the pump was originally sold to keller supply in 2-08. They agreed the pump did NOT leave their factory in this condition, and called the place I bought it from. The lady argued with PENTAIR and told them it was a new pump.
Pentair said sorry, but the only thing they could do was give me the contact info to keller supply, something which the vendor wouldn't do.

No luck with visa or my bank, since even though the charge ran as a credit, it was on my debit card so no recourse.

I called Keller supply, guy there was very nice and helpful, I explained all to him and offered to email him the pics, he said don't bother, he believes me as they had similar instances in the past few weeks when some returned pumps were apparently mixed with new inventory. He sent me a new pump right away and had UPS pick up the used pump when it was delivered. Stand up company.

Pump is running great and on low is keeping my pool crystal clear :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.