Lesson Learned....

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Lesson: If you keep adding chemical, and your test continues to show no change, at some point you need to doubt your test.

New pool. New test kit.

Not using salt yet.

Add calculated volume of bleach. A little change, up to .5 ppm.

Continuing to add cya, meanwhile adding more bleach.

And more bleach.

And more bleach.

Still .5 ppm Cl.

Wife: I'm beginning to doubt our test kit. I'm going to WalMart and buy another kit or more reagent.

New kit: Well over 5 pmm Cl. (last night)

This morning: Report from her lab: Well over 5 ppm

Evidently Cl reagent can go bad (or if not bad, at least neutral... which is.... bad), and sometimes does. Know that.

Steve

Congratulations on passing your class in "Learning, the hard way." Whenever chemicals don't do what I think they should, I try adding them to a bucket of water and testing that. The small scale lets me make big changes in levels easily to see if things make sense.

yep... my wife mentioned that she had meant to try adding a drop of bleach to the test to see the reaction... but it had slipped somehow....

must've slipped between doing the laundry, cooking dinner, work... or one of those cracks...

my naive self never doubted the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.