A week without a pump - should I buy a backup?

May 22, 2009
Our pool was opened last Friday. We couldn't turn the pump on till we got the water refilled over the weekend. Got it filled, tried pump on Monday, wouldn't work. Took it to a repair shop Monday afternoon and have yet to even hear an estimate. Not to mention the time it's going to take for them to actually fix it.

Should I bite the bullet, buy another pump and just keep one as a backup once we get the other one back? My pool opened very nicely but it's looking terrible now. I've been brushing and adding chlorine but it's not doing enough.

I know $200 is a lot to spend, but seriously, it's almost worth it to me after the time and effort I'm going to have to put into getting it back in decent shape.

**I did call the repair place yesterday and they said "it's been looked at, but it's sitting on XYZ's desk waiting for him to price out the estimate". They said I'd hear back by this morning definately. Yeah, that didn't happen.

**ETA: My son's birthday party is next Friday night. I had the pool opened early so I could make sure it was nice and in shape for his party.

Without some circulation, you won't be able to go an entire week. You might be able to limp along using a small pump, like a cover pump or sump pump, to create enough circulation to take care of the pool. That won't be enough to use while fighting algae, but it is usually enough to keep a pool that is already clean going.

I tried our submursable pump and it just didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I don't know if i have a small one or what? I put the pump in one side and put the other end of the hose in the other side and i just couldn't really see any water circulating. None of the settled stuff on the bottom was moving.

If you have a robot cleaner that should buy you some time as it does help with circulation. It won't filter out the micro-particles obviously though, but it will help with the shocking.

If you need it ready for the party though, you may have to just buy a new one.

But, right now, my equipment is disconnected as I do work on my patio and I run my Dolphin cleaner and shock it once a week. Water has been crystal clear this whole time (few weeks). Granted though, I'm in Massachusetts and the water is still cold here.

Good Luck!

Kathy3232 said:
I tried our submersible pump and it just didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I don't know if i have a small one or what? I put the pump in one side and put the other end of the hose in the other side and i just couldn't really see any water circulating. None of the settled stuff on the bottom was moving.

I found that putting the submersible pumps in the shallow end (on steps) and running hose to another part of pool or deep end helps a lot. If I put either of my two sub. pumps on the 10 ft bottom they don't have enough umph to get the flow up from the depth. One of my pumps is 4/10 HP the other less but not sure what rating.

If I want to move water from the deep end to shallow I have to suspend the pump down the wall about 5-6 ft (in deep end) to get flow going well enough. The smaller sub. pumps just aren't designed to raise water a whole lot.

You might also try a mini backwash of the pump by running some water, not too strong flow, into the outlet of pump. There may be some gunk in the pump restricting the flow.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.